IGNORED

I'm torn ...

Which ought I get?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these ought I get?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Okay so I'm torn. I already have an SNES, a gameboy, and an NES. I've been browsing eBay and Craigslist lately (always a mistake) and have come across a couple of interesting finds:

Sega Genesis Model 2 + 16 games + 6-Button Controller

And I found a few SNES Advantage control pads on eBay that I'm pretty sure I could pick up for less than $30.

I've always wanted a Sega Genesis ... but on the other hand, I really like Mortal Kombat (2, U3) and have always thought it was better on the SNES. I have Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix for XBox, so getting the SF2: Championship Edition on the Genesis isn't an issue.

So I put it to you: SNES Advantage, or Sega Genesis?

Go with the Genesis. There are some great games that could be found pretty cheap. A controller is......well just a controller for an existing system you have. A new console is like a whole new world.

go with the genesis.lots of awesome games on sega that didnt make it on snes.

I can't endorse the Genesis enough. I grew up a Nintendo fan and the Genesis was the first system I collected for when I got older. The machine is affordable, as are many, many outstanding titles.

That deal you posted looks like a good one, even if something doesn't work right since it is so cheap for a lot of games. The Genesis 6-Pak is one of the single greatest carts ever produced and an amazing way to get started with Genesis games.

I can't endorse the Genesis enough. I grew up a Nintendo fan and the Genesis was the first system I collected for when I got older. The machine is affordable, as are many, many outstanding titles.

That deal you posted looks like a good one, even if something doesn't work right since it is so cheap for a lot of games. The Genesis 6-Pak is one of the single greatest carts ever produced and an amazing way to get started with Genesis games.

agree,with completely. The only real difference between a model 1 and a 2 though is that the sound is considered by some to be worse on the model 2 then the model 1. That is only early to mid model 2's though as the later ones did have the same sound.

The only real difference between a model 1 and a 2 though is that the sound is considered by some to be worse on the model 2 then the model 1.

Well, part of the reason I'm on the fence is because if I got a Sega Genesis, I'd like to mod it for component video (rf adapters have proven to be a major pain in the @$&). I'm given to understand that the model 1 is much easier to mod, or at least it seems to have much more thorough documentation.

I may get both. I certainly wouldn't argue against that. I want both. It's not an either/or question. It's "which first?"

Edited by jadedrakerider

Since it's a "which first", maybe consider which is a better deal for you NOW. I don't know anything about the SNES Adavntage, but if you think its a great and rare deal that will be hard to come by later, but the Genesis is just a standard value, then the SNES Advantage is the one to go for.

I'm not endorsing either of your finds. I'm just telling you to think critically about your options and choose the one that will benefit you best.

Well, part of the reason I'm on the fence is because if I got a Sega Genesis, I'd like to mod it for component video (rf adapters have proven to be a major pain in the @$&).

Composite cables are easy to find on ebay, so rf shouldn't be an issue, even without a component mod (Genesis 1 and 2 have different cables, though). I definitely recommend going with Genesis. It has tons of great game and the Super Advantage isn't that great of a controller.

Edited by BrianC

Okay so I'm torn. I already have an SNES, a gameboy, and an NES. I've been browsing eBay and Craigslist lately (always a mistake) and have come across a couple of interesting finds:

Sega Genesis Model 2 + 16 games + 6-Button Controller

And I found a few SNES Advantage control pads on eBay that I'm pretty sure I could pick up for less than $30.

I've always wanted a Sega Genesis ... but on the other hand, I really like Mortal Kombat (2, U3) and have always thought it was better on the SNES. I have Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix for XBox, so getting the SF2: Championship Edition on the Genesis isn't an issue.

So I put it to you: SNES Advantage, or Sega Genesis?

I'm thinking about unloading some Atari 2600 stuff, so I vote "None of the above" in the poll. icon_wink.gif

I heard the SNES Advantage was bad ...

I've heard that the button layout throws people off. But seeing as I haven't played in an arcade since I was 8, I'm not worried about it.

Edit:

Plus, as I've stated earlier, I play Super Turbo on XBox when I play it, and I prefer the Mortal Kombat games on SNES when I play that.

Edited by jadedrakerider

I have nothing against the NES Advantage. I had one "back in the day" and loved it for vertically scrolling shooters like 1943. I bought another one recently on eBay and ended up cannibalizing a regular NES pad I had to fix a button on it (pad underneath had worn down too much). But I would have to go with the Genesis on this. A new controller can only be used on games you already have or are about to get, and then you might not like it much except for certain types of games (see my second sentence for example). But a new system opens up all new games and gaming opportunities. I would pick a new system over a new accessory for an old system any day.

I have nothing against the NES Advantage. I had one "back in the day" and loved it for vertically scrolling shooters like 1943. I bought another one recently on eBay and ended up cannibalizing a regular NES pad I had to fix a button on it (pad underneath had worn down too much). But I would have to go with the Genesis on this. A new controller can only be used on games you already have or are about to get, and then you might not like it much except for certain types of games (see my second sentence for example). But a new system opens up all new games and gaming opportunities. I would pick a new system over a new accessory for an old system any day.

He's talking about the SNES Super Advantage, not the NES Advantage.

Hey jadedrakerider, have you checked around at the Bookman's in Flagstaff? They have a pretty small gaming section compared to the ones down here in Phoenix but I know when my buddy was going to NAU, we'd hit it several times and they used to have a Genesis or two lying around.

Though if it is anything like what mine has turned into, all they have are PS2s and Xboxes =(

have you checked around at the Bookman's in Flagstaff?

Though if it is anything like what mine has turned into, all they have are PS2s and Xboxes =(

God I miss bookmans. If they don't have a system you want at your local store, you can call their other locations and the will ship it there for free.

Oh, I'm always at Bookman's drooling over stuff. ^.^ They had a Sega model 2 a few weeks back, but they sold it. I wish they had online inventory, but alas. I may try giving them a call in Phoenix.

@Algus Yeah, the mostly have PS2s and XBoxes.