IGNORED

NES Blinking Screen

ydcl

Hi all,

I just bought a NES with Dragon Warrior and Rygar and I can't get the games to work, my other NES games don't work either... The guy at the store plugged it in and got the system to work right in front of me...

I got Dragon Warrior to work once.

How can I solve this?

Thanks for your help!

Yan

Install a new 72-pin connector. The cart slot connector was made to be replaced on those if using the toaster model. :)

It's easy as hell to do, and those 72 pin connectors are about $5-$7 bucks. All you have to do is unscrew the console and rf shield, pop the old connector off and pop the new one on. The last time I did this, I couldn't get the rf shield to fit back on for some reason, but it didn't cause any interference and you won't be about to tell once the outer console case is put back together again. Good luck!

I just went on Ebay yesterday and bought a new 72 pin.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1605951318391?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=160595131839&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

When it arrives I'll put it on, I also have another NES system that has no front loading door, and I'll see if I can get that to run by buying another 72 pin.

I was told to also clean every single game that I have... I need to buy a cleaning kit.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1605951318391?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=160595131839&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

When it arrives I'll put it on, I also have another NES system that has no front loading door, and I'll see if I can get that to run by buying another 72 pin.

I was told to also clean every single game that I have... I need to buy a cleaning kit.

Just get a pack of q-tips and a bottle of isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and clean them that way. :)

• Like 5

Just get a pack of q-tips and a bottle of isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and clean them that way. :)

Absolutely agreed, don't bother with the official cleaning kit. BTW you'll be amazed at the black nastiness that comes off your cartridge's contacts with some 91% isopropyl alcohol (and Q-tips). I'm kind of appalled that it took me until 2009 or so to figure out how important that was -- I think I threw at least one game away as a child that stopped working, but which probably could've been salvaged had I known.

Edited by thegoldenband

Absolutely agreed, don't bother with the official cleaning kit. BTW you'll be amazed at the black nastiness that comes off your cartridge's contacts with some 91% isopropyl alcohol (and Q-tips). I'm kind of appalled that it took me until 2009 or so to figure out how important that was -- I think I threw at least one game away as a child that stopped working, but which probably could've been salvaged had I known.

Do I have to open the cartridge or can I just rub isopropyl on without opening it?

In most cases there is no need to waste $7-$10 on a new 72 pin connector. Instead, take the console case apart and remove the RF shield and spring-loaded cartridge tray. Then fold a piece of fine grain sandpaper (400 grit or higher) in half (grit side out of course) and run it back and forth in between the console pins a few times. Follow this with a toothbrush dipped in 91% isopropyl alcohol and the system will work good as new.

As an aside, it never hurts to disable the 10NES lockout chip while you're inside the console. Just clip the #4 pin shown in this picture and flashing screens are a thing of the past.

post-23487-0-97742100-1307227732_thumb.jpg

Do I have to open the cartridge or can I just rub isopropyl on without opening it?

You don't need to open the cartridge, no, though some people report that opening the cartridge up has been helpful with extremely stubborn carts since it allows them fuller access to the contacts. But I wouldn't bother with that unless you have a cart that won't work on a known good system (i.e. one on which many other carts work fine).

As an aside, it never hurts to disable the 10NES lockout chip while you're inside the console. Just clip the #4 pin shown in this picture and flashing screens are a thing of the past.

post-23487-0-97742100-1307227732_thumb.jpg

Something I always wondered though. How does this help games that don't work? I understand the flashing is the NES constantly resetting itself if it detects an unauthorized game but if a legitimate game doesn't work, does disabling this chip somehow help?

I bought some rubbing alcohol and opened up my other NES, the one without the front door... It was filled with spiderwebs. I dipped the q-tip in and started cleaning the board and the pin connector area. I did not clean the games yet... I then turned it on and around the 3rd try it worked!!! I then tried Rygar and it worked!

So I learned something today! :D

I bought some rubbing alcohol and opened up my other NES, the one without the front door... It was filled with spiderwebs. I dipped the q-tip in and started cleaning the board and the pin connector area. I did not clean the games yet... I then turned it on and around the 3rd try it worked!!! I then tried Rygar and it worked!

So I learned something today! :D

Glad you got it working. And this method will work on other classic consoles that use carts too. :)

If you need to clean a cart connector on say, a 2600, just use a lint free cloth wrapped around a credit card, library card, etc and use a little rubbing alcohol to gently clean back and forth in the cart slot.

Something I always wondered though. How does this help games that don't work? I understand the flashing is the NES constantly resetting itself if it detects an unauthorized game but if a legitimate game doesn't work, does disabling this chip somehow help?

My experience with dirty/non-working games in a NES with 10NES disabled is that the screen just displays a solid gray or pink color. You still have to clean the contact pins on the dirty cart to rectify that. The advantage to a system with 10NES disabled is that 1)It is now region free and will play other region carts, and 2) You will get far fewer "non-working" games. You still need to keep your contacts cleaned, but the annoying blinking screen will not be a constant problem. Most games, including moderately dirty ones will boot fine. Only the dirtiest of the dirty will cause the solid gray/pink screen. The modded systems I have seen seem to be far less sensitive to dirty contacts. Hope that answers.

Yeah, the 10NES has got some dedicated pins to it, so it's possible for the ROM connection to be okay but the lockout chip connection to the flakey. When it detects any problem, it resets the NES once per second. It's not very intelligent and as far as I know disabling it has no ill effect. IIRC the Japanese NES (Famicom) doesn't even have a lockout circuit?

• 1 month later...

Yeah, the 10NES has got some dedicated pins to it, so it's possible for the ROM connection to be okay but the lockout chip connection to the flakey. When it detects any problem, it resets the NES once per second. It's not very intelligent and as far as I know disabling it has no ill effect. IIRC the Japanese NES (Famicom) doesn't even have a lockout circuit?

It tooks years for normal people to learn how it worked, so I wouldn't call it dumb. But yeah, the famicom doesn't have a lockout at all.

And alcohol is okay to clean games, bit if you want to get them cleaned right and have them perfect, use wiemans stovetop cleaner. Just gonna throw this out there, sorry for reviving a older topic, but this stuff is hands down the best. Only way to really clean games. Alcohol can't get it all the way off like this stuff can.

http://reviews.ebay.com/The-SECRET-to-Cleaning-NES-Nintendo-Game-Connectors_W0QQugidZ10000000001205863