IGNORED

Abandonware in the TI world

unhuman

So, I sort of had a come-to-jesus with copyright rules. Abandoned software is, according to the law, still protected.

I want to know if anyone has maintained a list of software that has been contributed to the public domain as opposed to just "forgotten about".

Anyone know?

-H

I don't see copyrights issues rise as much in other "this computer's gone out of production about 30 years ago" communities. For what it is, some of the TI game software being "protected" is often even close to pathetic (comparing with similar game software on other platforms of the early eighties). Just my opinion.

There are two major projects, mentioned on this forum quite a few times, collecting more than thousand pieces of software in databases. It seems that there might have been dozens if not hundreds of TI clubs around the world with software libraries, and sadly I expect a good deal to be lost forever. - I really do hope that those projects do NOT run into any copyright issues whatsoever over stuff made for a computer that's gone out of production in 1983.

I don't see copyrights issues rise as much in other "this computer's gone out of production about 30 years ago" communities. For what it is, some of the TI game software being "protected" is often even close to pathetic (comparing with similar game software on other platforms of the early eighties). Just my opinion.

I do see it in several other communities. You and I won't agree on this point (not a problem, I hope! :) )

The frustrating thing is that it's always the same discussion. "Hey, it's not legal to distribute that, did you get permission?", "Why should anyone care about software for a 30/20/10/etc year old machine?" Well... obviously people care, or the database wouldn't be made. The part that rubs me personally (and we differ a little on this point) is that the attitude completely ignores the opinion of the creator, as if someone should not be allowed to care about something they made thirty years ago. It's the creator's right to decide, and it's a matter of respect to honor that right, and disrespect to say that his or her opinion should be meaningless. Obviously, I have this feeling because I am still a creator for this old machine, and my rights have already not been respected on this project. But I decided to help with it anyway. (I hope everyone remembers to check for their stuff, though.)

If those projects do run into concerns by the owners, I hope that those feelings are respected. Beyond that, I don't have much problem with the collection.

For the original question, I'm not aware of any lists. It's pretty hard to find evidence of anything in the TI community being public domain, at least the times I've looked. :/

• Like 1

This is totally a moral debate that never goes anywhere, and to which there is no answer. Some people care about stuff they made 20 years ago, some don't. Some people can't be bothered, some are dead, some are pricks, etc. Some companies care, some don't. Some companies don't even exist any more and the rights to whatever they made were bought up in some IP sale and no one knows who owns what, blah blah blah. There are too many circumstances and everything has to be considered on a case-by-case basis. Also, IMO the copy right laws in the US are stupid beyond ridiculous these days...

You have to decide what you consider the right thing to do and live by that. For me, if I want something and can still buy it, I'll do that before getting a copy or bootleg. Otherwise I'll use a copy until I can obtain the real item (which is sometimes impossible.) However, if I have something like a PacMan coin-op and my ROMs have bit-rot, you can be sure I'm going to restore them with binary dumps available online. Is that wrong? It is all very gray (or grey). Everyone has different values and morals, and this topic can not be settled or resolved. It is best to leave it alone and do what you think is right.

I wasn't trying to spark the debate - it's been discussed ad naseum by others who actually care to discuss it. While I'd like copyrights on software to be shorter termed, they're not.

I was trying to find out what I can use moving forward. My library has been reduced to zippy.

well, in my large database software that i will put on my site i contacted the original programmer when possible, i contacted already Quinton Tormanen, Osvaldo Contenti, Claudio de Nisi and other people for have the permission on publish their games on my site.

Someone i can't found and someone never answered, well, i will put the same the software in database and if someone want i cancel the link for download i will do. :D

well, in my large database software that i will put on my site i contacted the original programmer when possible, i contacted already Quinton Tormanen, Osvaldo Contenti, Claudio de Nisi and other people for have the permission on publish their games on my site.

Someone i can't found and someone never answered, well, i will put the same the software in database and if someone want i cancel the link for download i will do. :D

If you are in touch with Quinton Tormanen it would be worth checking for the assembly source code to many of his great games (Warzone, Warzone II, Backsteine, ..) :)

If you are in touch with Quinton Tormanen it would be worth checking for the assembly source code to many of his great games (Warzone, Warzone II, Backsteine, ..) :)

This fact, Quinton was really kind, gave me his permission and I told him how to run its games on a PC with classic99. He wanted to show his games to his children :)...

I suggested to come to this beautiful community development but I still do not seem to be ... we hope will be ... I think the rewrite and ask him again: D