IGNORED

C64

rorysl

Hey there, got a kijiji deal on a Commodore 64 Setup -- Computer + Disk Drive + hook-ups + about 200 games for $100.00. It's tested and working but it's missing one of the keyboard keys... Thoughts on this deal? Keeping in mind I've NEVER seen a C64 in the wild and the shipping on such a comp to where I live would be outrageous. Also, is it possible to get replacement keys?

Hey there, got a kijiji deal on a Commodore 64 Setup -- Computer + Disk Drive + hook-ups + about 200 games for $100.00. It's tested and working but it's missing one of the keyboard keys... Thoughts on this deal? Keeping in mind I've NEVER seen a C64 in the wild and the shipping on such a comp to where I live would be outrageous. Also, is it possible to get replacement keys?

It's not a bad deal at all, assuming it all works properly. I happen to have some spare keyboards in storage if you want to buy one. I can take pics and send them to you if you are interested. I don't know much about them (I got them with a bulk purchase a while back). Let me know.

Forgive me, I'm not that knowledgable on C64 setups....a bunch of my friends had them when I was a kid and I was always intrigued. The keyboard and CPU are one unit correct? I would need a replacement key not a full keyboard? Or is there a port for an "external" keyboard on the C64?

Forgive me, I'm not that knowledgable on C64 setups....a bunch of my friends had them when I was a kid and I was always intrigued. The keyboard and CPU are one unit correct? I would need a replacement key not a full keyboard? Or is there a port for an "external" keyboard on the C64?

It is the whole keyboard on the actual PCB. Like I said, I don't know much about this either, but the guy who sold me the lot said that they were "spares", in case the keyboard on mine ever went bad. I can get one out of storage and send you a pic if you would like. I really don't care to capitalize off of this, as they are just in storage taking up space and in the greater picture of what I paid, they cost me nothing. Let me know. If you are interested in one, you'll just need to cover the shipping.

Ah! I get it! So if I pick up the C64 I can replace the keyboard with the missing key with one of your keyboards! I wonder how hard a task that is?

Resources needed: Philips screwdriver (1). Time (5 min.).

Remove three screws. Open the case. Unplug the keyboard. Remove eight (or so) more screws. Replace the keyboard. Reassemble. Done and done.

And I'm very interested! Thanks for the generous offer! I still have to see if/when I'm going to pick this item up, but if I get it, I'll let you now and we can work out the details??

No problem...just let me know. Also, you didn't happen to mention which C64 model this was...I just want to make sure you are getting one with the same keyboard layout. Later 64's looked a bit like the 128's. In this case, the replacement keyboard I have wouldn't work. Thanks!

-Ben

If worse comes to worse, too, you can remove the keys on a 64 keyboard if the post is in good shape. I think they pop off with a chip puller. So if the rest of the keyboard is OK, you can just replace the missing key.

That 64C with a VIC keyboard is interesting looking. Makes it look like a VIC-20 on Slimfast.

Its probably not necessary to replace the whole keyboard. The key-caps can also be replaced if the button still functions and the little + shape that holds it on is still intact.

You can pry a key off from the lower edge (though be careful when prying against one side of the space bar. hold the other side of it down). Also, the spacebar itself is a bit harder to get off and has a metal guide so that it all travels evenly.

For some of the keyboards (like the brown C64 in the pic), the keycaps fit onto a spring-loaded + shape.

For others (like the C64C in the other pic), they fit onto a loose + and have a spring right under the keycap.

I don't know if the two styles are divided along model line or not, but its easy to check the one you get. A keycap and spring if you need one could be gotten a lot easier than the whole keyboard.

post-17508-0-67336500-1307911337_thumb.jpg

post-17508-0-28946300-1307911360_thumb.jpg

Wow guys, $100 for a C64 that needs a keyboard repair and a 1541 seems pretty pricey to me. Maybe if it was all mint-in-box and also had a nicely working 1702 monitor with it. I understand it has some games with it, and if they're originals then maybe. But honestly, what I would do is just pick up a nice working C64, then spend the extra $ on a Jim Brain uIEC device or similar and just use all the disk images off the internet. I mean, honestly, unless you're fully-cocked interested in all the nostalgia of the slow-as-molasses 1541 and flaky old floppies, a disk-replacement device is really where it's at. So, if you look at it like that, you're paying $100 for a loose C64 that needs repair? Errrrrr... okay.

I see you say shipping would be too costly on one... where are you? Maybe it wouldn't be as bad as you think. There are millions of C64's out there, unless you're literally in Timbuktu, I have a hard time believing they aren't out there in spades still wherever you are (and a 1541 isn't worth the shipping price which is why I have a pile of them in my basement, those puppies are heavy). I'd offer the guy $40 for that setup and walk away if he won't budge (and I think even $40 is insane, honestly). It'll sit forever for $100.

And incidentally, I have several tubs of keyboards of both types in my basement as well. Very very very often, they need more than just to be replaced, but also to be taken apart and cleaned thoroughly before being responsive after sitting for so long. It's fairly easy to do (but tedious), but requires two wires to be resoldered to hook the caps lock key back up.

Edited by Mirage

I wrote an article on keyboard maintenance published in the July 1992 issue of Twin Cities 128. That issue is on the Bombjack site. It's for the 128 of course, but the two keyboards were the same from a maintenance standpoint.

I agree with the others who say $100 is steep for a 64 and a 1541. A 64 with anything at all wrong with it is worth about $10. Figure $10 for the 1541, and $20 for the disks, and $40 seems fair. I wouldn't go $100 unless a substantial portion of the software is originals.

I appreciate the response, Mirage. I mean, that's why I made the posting in the first place to determine if the deal was worth it. Allow me to be a little clearer on what's included in the package (based on the sellers information):

Commodore 64C

Keyboard (meaning, I assume, the computer itself, as pictured), Drive and All hooks ups (plus plenty of extras)

3 controllers (1 extra)

2 shoe boxes filled with games

3 games come with original boxes and manuals.

A number of manuals (for the commodore and for some of the games).

The seller was originally asking $100. After I learned about the missing key and posted here to get people's thoughts on the matter, I came back with an offer of $80, thinking the $20 I would have spent anyway would cover bennybingo's very generous offer of sending me a keyboard for shipping only. The seller accepted the offer although neither of us have officially signed off on the deal nor has any money changed hands. I considered lowballing the price to $50 when it looked as if a replacement keyboard might not work but the seller was firm at $80.00.

I take your point about the Disk Drive being slow and that the price point of this package may be too high. I do maintain that I've been looking for a C64 for a long time -- albeit passively looking, I haven't been scouring! I'm a regular thrifter, ebayer, etc. and I've NEVER come across anything Commodore related locally although, as you say, I know they must be out there somewhere!

Been ebaying a little this afternoon to help get an idea where I stand on the offer. The lowest I can find a C64 (C or otherwise) is two separate computers listed for $25-$30 with another twenty for shipping to my eastern Canadian address. These are for untested units with no power supplies (the unit I've been looking at locally has been tested and the seller has offered to let me verify that it's working). This puts me at ~$50 already.

If I were to want a disk drive (although I believe you when you reference how slow they are -- my childhood memories are vivid!) those are sitting on ebay for a wide range of prices. Lowest I see one is $12 but the shipping is $50!

So, I guess the question to put to you (and others out there, I invite anyone to weight in!) is for a computer system I've been curious about for a long time is $80 too much to pay for the items listed, verified tested and working and understanding that replacing the keyboard will be some extra work?

Incidentally I will add that the keyboard IS missing one key but the button is still working -- you can press the spot where the button is.

Again, cheers Mirage, I'm certainly not disagreeing with you -- everyone else at this point seemed to have thought it wasn't that bad a deal, but it's good to hear the other side of the coin to get perspective. Also, I've been using ebay.ca to look around and may have missed some good options (finding a Commodore 64 without bringing up a million listings for loose C64 disks isn't easy!). I welcome any offers from Atariagers who might be able to do me a better offer on a C64 they may be looking to get rid of or any links to where I might find a better deal!

Value is all relative. If it's really hard to get them where you are and shipping would be a killer, then obviously, that change the equation for you. I'm not going to go into all that, because I don't live where you live, so you have to raise or lower any costs according to your shipping experiences and such.

But yeah, other than that consideration, I would maintain that $80 for a loose C64, 1541 and cables is a bit crazy.

A 1541, again, in my opinion, is not worth having. If you were going to want a real disk drive, I'd just pay a little extra for a 1541-II and you'll save the difference in shipping and have a better, quieter, generally more reliable drive. A tiny bit is sacrificed in compatibility, but not very much.

If you do go with any real floppy drive, you'll want to either get JiffyDOS installed in the 64 and the drive to speed it up, or at least get an Epyx FastLoad cart or similar. But, again, I'd just skip the real drive and spend probably less cash on a Brain uIEC (or go all out and get the 1541-Ultimate-II like I did, but then you're talking a couple hundred bucks+, but well worth it if you're serious!).

I realize that ebay prices are high, and shipping is high. I did go through a brief period this past winter where I was panicking about my C64's because none of them seemed to be working, so I was looking for more spares, but then I realized it was all super easy fixes, and they're all working again, so I'm happy LOL... But even though I maintain that 64's are common and cheap, I still won't give up my spares ha ha... I really like having them around, being a C64 freak and all. But even in my temporary panic mode, I wouldn't have dreamed of spending $80 for that.

Anyway, if it's worth it to you, then go for it. But since you haven't scoured hard, if I were you, I'd keep looking and really think about what you want. To me, that would be good money thrown after bad that could be spent much more wisely on a more modern C64 solution. I'll bet you could find a real nice C64 on here or CraigsList maybe for about $30, boxed, and even with shipping I'd be surprised if you'd be over $50 total, then buy the Brain unit, and you'd be in a lot better shape for about the same amount. I've found 64's for anywhere from a buck to $15 locally, but then I'm in Wisconsin, not Eastern Canada, so...!!

P.S. Another factor is that us old hats to all this have seen everything and have so much stuff we've gotten cheap, that our perspective is just different. I've been collecting since the early '90s and have been on AA since it was the Nexus (despite my '07 join date, long story), so... I know people pay a lot more than they need to every day, no harm in that if it's easier for you. I'm just trying to help, but the important thing is to just have fun.

Also, if you get it, and you just need a single key and the mounting point is still good, I could send you just a key, just let me know which one. I have a drawer full of loose keys in addition to all the spare complete keyboards. I'm pretty sure I have loose keys in either color.

Edited by Mirage