IGNORED

5200 no video?

My 4 port finally stopped working. Opened it and everything looks fine. Hard to tell though. No video. Channel 2 or 3 no difference. Just grey or black screen. Box was fixed by phuzzed so it is not the box. Got to be the 5200. Red power light comes on just no video. Not electronics savy. What could be wrong. Or not worth fixing. And even on ebay used systems (even broken ones) are expensive. What gives?

95% a chip is bad. Could be one of the 8 RAM chips, the little one by power switch or the GTIA.

Overvoltage can and does fry chips, but putting meter on unloaded power supply is misleading. Turn system on with a game inserted and test at the socket in switchbox to determine true voltage under load.

Edited by zylon

This is a tough one.... This could be a number of things. Anything from a bad RAM chip to a bad CPU, GTIA chip, or BIOS. Reseat all the chips and try again.

In regards to power, that does seem a bit high. Most of my power supplies output around 14 Volts. Remember that these power supplies are unregulated, meaning that the voltage regulators inside the 5200 system should step it down the appropriate voltages (i think they step it down to 12 volts, but I am not 100% positive on this). The voltage regulators are attached to the huge metal heat sinks located near the back right (as you are looking down on the system). Since you are getting a screen, I don't think these regulators are bad, but the only way to tell is to test the output voltages.

I really wish I could help out more here. I know this has to be frustrating. Unfortunetly, this is one of those problems that is going to be hard to troubleshoot without another system to swap parts, to determine the culprit. :(

If higher voltage than 5.2 gets to the chips, it will cook one or more. Regulators can fail after warmup and allow too much power through. For that, you'd have to run the system and put a lead on ground at the board and the +lead on the third leg(far right when looking straight at the regulator with legs downward) and see what is getting through. Replacing chips will not last long if they were killed by dying regulator.

If higher voltage than 5.2 gets to the chips, it will cook one or more. Regulators can fail after warmup and allow too much power through. For that, you'd have to run the system and put a lead on ground at the board and the +lead on the third leg(far right when looking straight at the regulator with legs downward) and see what is getting through. Replacing chips will not last long if they were killed by dying regulator.

I'm going out for dinner. Show me a picture of the ground and third leg you are talking about and when I get back I'll check the numbers for you.

The voltage regulators do step it down to 5 volts---Not 12 like I previously stated. I have no idea why in the world I thought that.

Anyways, to test the voltage regulators, locate the voltage regulators, which are the black things screwed to the huge heat sink in the back. They will have three pins on them.

so, looking at the front of the voltage regulator, you have pins 1, 2, and 3

Pin 1: Input ---this should be your power supply voltage

Pin2 : Common

Pin 3: Output --- This should have an output of 5 volts, or pretty darn close.

post-3153-0-84321500-1308094184_thumb.jpg

I found VR2 to be failing giving me 6.2v on pin 3 so I removed and replaced VR1 & VR2. Power supply tested perfect here so the only way to get the ridiculously high readings from earlier would be if the voltage in the home is rather high. I'm going to guess it's 140vAC not 120vAC coming from the wall socket if earlier readings were correct. The GTIA chip was rather baked so that was replaced as well. Finally, adjusted the color to spec and put it back together. :)

post-25215-0-29074200-1308625209_thumb.jpg

post-25215-0-23601100-1308625231_thumb.jpg

post-25215-0-19279400-1308625258_thumb.jpg

Edited by zylon

Luckily for him, the chip had an open failure instead of a short which could've been much, much worse. I was actually able to make his chip work for about 3 minutes by applying direct heat from my soldering iron. This caused the internal wiring to expand and reconnect briefly. You could then play a game but would have to reheat to power back up.