IGNORED

7800 Controller - How to tighten the joystick?

SlowCoder

If you take apart the controller, you'll see that there's a small, soft, doughnut-shaped pad at the base of the joystick. I usually just replace it with one of those styrofoam rings that come with stacks of blank cds (it's a perfect fit!). The difference will rock your world.

If you take apart the controller, you'll see that there's a small, soft, doughnut-shaped pad at the base of the joystick. I usually just replace it with one of those styrofoam rings that come with stacks of blank cds (it's a perfect fit!). The difference will rock your world.

This is the correct answer.

Generally, by the time I've gotten a controller disassembled, foam ring replace, and reassembled, the brittle screw wells have seperated from the shell or some other piece is broken, usually not even of my own doing.

Just keep the cord & resistors, chunk the rest in the garbage, and rig up something better. Even manually connecting wires with a controller-less cord is more responsive than a Proline stick.

The pad on this controller is maybe a little thicker than 1/8 inch, and still has quite a bit of spring left in it. In fact the foam rings I got are a lot softer. I don't really think the pad is the problem. As I stated in another thread, the contact domes are cracked and collapsed. I'm thinking if I replace them that will also serve to help the slopiness.

I did stockpile a bunch of dome switches, both tri-foot and new quad design when I had the chance. I'm a fan of the pro-line sticks too. :)

8) Are you offering?

I can spare some. I'm still looking for another supplier since my last 2 stopped carrying them. :(

• 2 years later...

Gonna bump this old thread...

I had an idea:

Maybe its possible to find a small spring that is the same size as the foam donut? Or find a spring that is the same width, and cut it down to the correct length. then place that where the doughnut used to be.

or get four smaller springs, and somehow attach them to where the plastic would contact the donut.