IGNORED

How to open AC-adaptor

WERY

I seems like my powercord has been burnt but I would still like to open it, just to take a look if there is anything I can fix. I removed the two screws on the subside but the AC-adaptor still does'nt want to be opened. How do I do this? Is there a potential risk that it could have been glued?

Otherwise I know I could just simple buy a new one on ebay but need to know what I shall do with this one...

I seems like my powercord has been burnt but I would still like to open it, just to take a look if there is anything I can fix. I removed the two screws on the subside but the AC-adaptor still does'nt want to be opened. How do I do this? Is there a potential risk that it could have been glued?

Otherwise I know I could just simple buy a new one on ebay but need to know what I shall do with this one...

Remove the 2 rubber feet furthest from the 2 screws. The remaining 2 are under them. :)

Remove the 2 rubber feet furthest from the 2 screws. The remaining 2 are under them. :)

I kinda sssuspekted that there could be two more under the rubberfeet. Shall hav a look at it thanks :cool:

0078265317: So you just breaked it apart? :o That adaptor really looked advanced. I hope mine who looks different only includes the ironcore itself

ive never seen a 5200 adapter that has both plugs come out the same side

i'm baffled why he made the fuse external just put it inside he already has it cracked open if it blows again it is easy enough to break it down again isnt 5 amp too high i thought it was a max 1 amp ps so 2 amp would be good unless that is for an atari disk drive or something

i'm baffled why he made the fuse external just put it inside he already has it cracked open if it blows again it is easy enough to break it down again isnt 5 amp too high i thought it was a max 1 amp ps so 2 amp would be good unless that is for an atari disk drive or something

The later ones produced have both wires from the same side and do not have screws.

The fuse is external so if it blows he doesn't have to take it apart again.

• 3 weeks later...

What a hack job!

If you want to open a glued power brick .. wrap it in a rag and hit it along the glue line all the way around with a small hammer and the glue will break allowing a clean opening of the brick.

For an external fuse holder I would have gone to Radio Shack for a glass fuse holder and a one amp fuse .. not to Autozone for an automotive fuse holder and 5 amp fuse!

Edited by Rob Mitchell

I opened my AC-adaptor recently and saw no sign of visible damage, leading me to believe that there might be wrong with the capacitors in it. Might try to cut them of and solder in new ones...

But I will defenitely buy a new one as well