IGNORED

Some questions about the AtariLab breakout box

frank a.

1. is there any additional hardware installed in the box, or are the connections directly connected to the joystick port?
  2. Which Light sensors are used by the Light modules?
  3. Is a wiring diagram available?
  4. Are images of the open breakout box available?

Thank you

Frank

The jacks in the breakout box are connected directly to the joystick port pins; I believe the only other components are the LED and a resistor or two. I don't know of any wiring diagrams, but it should be pretty easy to figure out just by looking at the board. I've got several breakout boxes, and I'll try to dig one out for pictures sometime in the next week.

The jacks in the breakout box are connected directly to the joystick port pins; I believe the only other components are the LED and a resistor or two. I don't know of any wiring diagrams, but it should be pretty easy to figure out just by looking at the board. I've got several breakout boxes, and I'll try to dig one out for pictures sometime in the next week.

that's pretty cool!

I'm also assumed that the ports are connected directly.

However, it seems to me therefore also be possible to destroy the computer, if you connects own sensors.

I will wait for further information from you.

many thanks

that's pretty cool!

I'm also assumed that the ports are connected directly.

However, it seems to me therefore also be possible to destroy the computer, if you connects own sensors.

I will wait for further information from you.

many thanks

The box was designed for a wide range of possible uses, it is possible with the right hardware and programming to control low powered devices such as robots, remote switches etc. A robotics kit was planned but never released.

I was going through some stuff looking for something else and found mine...

post-24811-0-61314200-1309198716_thumb.png

Those are resistor values as coded (and as measured in my Interface)

post-24811-0-08573900-1309198729_thumb.png

the back

post-24811-0-30043200-1309198746_thumb.png

the back with jumper wires moved so oyu can see traces...

sloopy.

Hi,

From the images of sloopy, thank you for that, i've now created a circuit diagram of the AtariLab breakout box. Since i do not have one, i can not check whether the circuit is correct.

Can someone please check the wiring diagram?

Does anyone still has the connection diagram, ie color / pin number of the connector?

In that topic link, there is indeed a description of the color / pin assignment, but it seems as though there is described a breakout box with a different motherboard.

Thanks

Frank

post-29743-0-79763500-1309503133_thumb.png

Edited by frank a.

• 2 months later...

This is good... We could clone the breakout box and even use it on another OS.

How to clone/mimic the probes (and be compatible with the software) is unknown. These are 2 wire sensors, probably analog thermistors, but that needs to be measured in order to mimic the whole thing. I don't have my 8bit anymore, sadly, but I could breadboard something this simple and maybe mimic sw on the ST or arduino.

Hi,

From the images of sloopy, thank you for that, i've now created a circuit diagram of the AtariLab breakout box. Since i do not have one, i can not check whether the circuit is correct.

Can someone please check the wiring diagram?

Does anyone still has the connection diagram, ie color / pin number of the connector?

In that topic link, there is indeed a description of the color / pin assignment, but it seems as though there is described a breakout box with a different motherboard.

Thanks

Frank

i will confirm tomorrow the schematic is correct...

sloopy.

• 2 years later...

I know this is a way old thread, but I was planning of rebuilding the Atari lab interface at home and would thus be really interested if either sloopy or jaybird3rd could confirm whether frank's schematics are correct? I'm thinking of bringing in some Arduino-based interface which could then be used with the original software or so...