IGNORED

I'm gonna give 7800 one more try

zylon

What about Commando? One of two games with a built-in POKEY chip and it looks stellar! Of course, obtaining a used copy can run $50-75 bucks.

I played the snot out of Commando on my NES when I was a kid. Loved it because they added in all the Easter eggs like the yashikis and underground bunkers. But it doesn't appear that the 7800 version has that cool stuff.

Also watched some YouTube vids of Ninja Golf, and that one looks awesomely fun and hilarious. :D

bananas.

This game can be had for $20 or less if you're patient enough.

Ninja Golf is cool and fun, but after a couple games i got bored, it gets repetitive real quick.

I'm not overlooking the "new" scene, just going to be very cautious about it. I buy lots of those for 2600 and 5200. If I get a stinker, the strength of the library offsets it. For what I've seen on 7800, I'd have to be extra guarded before spending more $ on one game than the entire setup.

I'm not overlooking the "new" scene, just going to be very cautious about it. I buy lots of those for 2600 and 5200. If I get a stinker, the strength of the library offsets it. For what I've seen on 7800, I'd have to be extra guarded before spending more $ on one game than the entire setup.

All the more reason to try before you buy ;).

Good point. :) That's also something I can't do with this computer. I can't actually download anything so I'm limited to emulators on my Dreamcast. I don't actually own a computer more modern than 65xe. ;)

So there'll be a lot more dice rolling in any of my game buys.

I'll give the ok games another play another time.

Edited by zylon

Dig Dug is just not good? Explain.

I actually figure that one might've been a good one. I does look good, but it's missing "something". It doesn't run smoothly and sound effects are't even synchronised well. This Dig Dug has the slowest draw in the west.

It wasn't bad enough for outright insults, but just "not good".

Just curious, have you played the arcade version recently. A lot of other conversions for other systems don't match the arcade so well.

Mitch

In this port, killing an enemy takes way too long. Pretty much just have to run around trying to catch them with the rocks. I've played 2600, 5200, A8, C64, VIC-20, & TI99 ports. I'll have to try one of the arcade compilations to compare, but 7800 port is worst I've played of all so far. It's missing the "fun" part. It's great graphically, but gameplay hasn't kept up.

My only Namco experience in an actual arcade was Galaga. I still can't walk past one without giving it a play. :love:

Edit: Having just tried Dig Dug on the namco collections for DC and GC, killing an enemy on 7800 still takes way too long.

Edited by zylon

I haven't played the modern compilations so I don't know how accurate they are. On the arcade version (and 7800 version) you have to be moving toward the enemy as you are pressing the button to kill them quickly. A lot of home ports omit this detail.

Mitch

I haven't played the modern compilations so I don't know how accurate they are. On the arcade version (and 7800 version) you have to be moving toward the enemy as you are pressing the button to kill them quickly. A lot of home ports omit this detail.

Mitch

That definitely sucks then. My DC port had poor control mapping where left usually gave up instead and that was still more FUN.

Yeah, that's my conclusion, i've giving up on MM since i can't get passed the 1st Boss, the Skull in the Crypt.I've had helpful hints from you guys here on how to beat the B!@#tard, and i STILL can't defeat him! :roll:

Did you get the mega blaster first? My strategy is not to face him with the weaker blaster. As soon as I get the first blaster in the laboritory in the basement, I go into the catacombs and grab the more powerful blaster (make sure you have both potions handy).

He goes down pretty quick when you've got that thing. :-)

This experiment is over.

If you want some fresh games maybe you should download an emulator and work your way through the 7800's collection of homebrews. When AA's store opens up for business again you'll be able to pick them up.

where can i download the 7800 collection of homebrews?

Edited by sermajic

Yeah, that's my conclusion, i've giving up on MM since i can't get passed the 1st Boss, the Skull in the Crypt.I've had helpful hints from you guys here on how to beat the B!@#tard, and i STILL can't defeat him! :roll:

Did you get the mega blaster first? My strategy is not to face him with the weaker blaster. As soon as I get the first blaster in the laboritory in the basement, I go into the catacombs and grab the more powerful blaster (make sure you have both potions handy).

I've tried finding the mega blaster with no luck obviously.Guess I'll have to look harder.I'm playing without any map, is the lab you are referring to under the mansion? IIRC, the entrance to the catacombs is located in the cabin in the woods, the one with the healing well outside?

I've tried finding the mega blaster with no luck obviously.Guess I'll have to look harder.I'm playing without any map, is the lab you are referring to under the mansion? IIRC, the entrance to the catacombs is located in the cabin in the woods, the one with the healing well outside?

The game is still really hard, but this helps a lot...

http://digitpress.com/archives/arc00049.htm

;)

BTW: Probably my favorite game on the 7800, at least until someone adapts "Adventure" to the 7800. And before someone makes the comment, I would do it but I can't program- but I am real good using PayPal. :)

Edit: Having just tried Dig Dug on the namco collections for DC and GC, killing an enemy on 7800 still takes way too long.

Very interesting. I never noticed there was such a difference. I remember the arcade seeming to take more than its fair share of pumps before exploding. Hmm... will have to pop 7800 Dig Dug in tonight and see. If it truly is more difficult, that'd be a warm welcome I would think. C'mon... the game concept and mechanics are fairly easy.

A little off-topic: I'd love to see ports of NES titles, if that is possible. Opinions rendered by our programmers here suggest that it's not, or at least not easy to do.

It depends... If you start with the NES ROM image (for reverse engineering purposes) you need to know a great deal about both machines (or more likely - you will know them very well at the end of the project ;)). However, if you start with a blank canvas you only need to know about the 7800. In both cases you need to know the original game very well (especially its play mechanics) to understand why things are done the way they are.

It doesn't run smoothly and sound effects are't even synchronised well. This Dig Dug has the slowest draw in the west.

Wow...Never ever read or heard anyone make that complaint about Dig Dug on the 7800. I actually find it runs very smooth and synchronizes well. The pump draws near the same as the Arcade; arguably slightly faster or slower depending on the circumstance. I would think you had a faulty controller, but played Joust, where slow or unresponsive buttons would be even more noticeable.

IMHO, Dig Dug is one of the best games on the systems. I'm really quite surprised of your opinion. But hey, to each their own ;)

That said, the only thing the 7800 and NES have in common is most of a 6502 cpu. Porting from NES graphics and sound hardware to the 7800's sounds like a royal witch.

They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I didn't say that it would be an easy job.