IGNORED

NES repair for the hoplessly clueless

atari2600land

Every game I popped in my front loader got the gray screen. So after unscrewing everything (and tearing skin off my pointer finger in the process), this is what I found. What do you think could be the problem? Is it the 72-pin thingy? Or something else? And is it OK to plug it in in a state like this to test games?

post-9475-0-89497000-1309660167_thumb.jpg

Very easy to put a new one in. I have zero mechanical inclination and I had no troubke at all. New 72 pin connectors run about $7, I think. Unscrew the console, open it, unscrew that huge RF shield, and lightly tug at the connector. It should pop right off, and then you can just pop the new one in. I couldn't get the RF shield to fit back on mine afterwords, but you don't need that anyway. Good luck!

I got it working, but some of the sprites are screwed up. What does that mean?

Means that the cartridge pins and/or the console pins are dirty. My suggestion: Fold a piece of fine-grit sandpaper in half and run it back and forth between the pins on the console (easy to do since you have the case apart anyway), then finish by running a toothbrush soaked in 91% isopropyl alcohol back and forth in the console pins. Allow to dry and you do not need new 72 pin connector at all/ If you still get some garbled pixels on your TV screen, then repeat the process.

Also, clean the cartridge contacts with fine-grit sandpaper and alcohol to ensure a totally clean connection between gane and system.

Means that the cartridge pins and/or the console pins are dirty. My suggestion: Fold a piece of fine-grit sandpaper in half and run it back and forth between the pins on the console (easy to do since you have the case apart anyway), then finish by running a toothbrush soaked in 91% isopropyl alcohol back and forth in the console pins. Allow to dry and you do not need new 72 pin connector at all/ If you still get some garbled pixels on your TV screen, then repeat the process.

Also, clean the cartridge contacts with fine-grit sandpaper and alcohol to ensure a totally clean connection between gane and system.

This. I have never seen a replacement 72-pin connector that was as good as an original part. Do what TZ says and your NES should be fine. If it isn't, the problem lies elsewhere.

Chris

• 1 month later...

I have fixed a heap of NES consoles. I just lift all the pins on the connector using a tiny flat head screw driver.

I also open the carts and clean all the contacts using a metal polish. Brass is the brand we have here in Australia. Contacts come up shiny and like new.

Never have a problem getting any game to work.

You really don't need to replace the connector.

That is exactly what I do. 2000 grit sandpaper works amazing on the carts, and 800 grit works great on the cartridge slot. 800 grit seemed to have taken off the polish on the contacts on the cartridges, but 2000 grit leaves it on, and polishes them to a perfect new shine. I clean every game I get this way, and my console and games hasn't needed a cleaning in over 2 years.