IGNORED

Buying a 5200....What to look for.

Video_Invader

Depending on condition, somewhere between $50-100 for a boxed 5200 seems about right.

Things to look for:

Do you want a 2-port or a 4-port? The 4-port allows 4 players for a very few games, and is compatible with all 5200 software. However, it's usually incompatible with the 2600 adapter (which can be fixed with an internal modification.) The 2-port typically has problems running 3 games - Pitfall, Mountain King, and Krazy Shootout (the problem doesn't always exists, and can be fixed with a BIOS replacement.) Also, the 2-port uses a typical kind of RF switchbox, while the 4-port has an unusual switchbox that incorporates the power as well as RF ... it actually performs the switch from channel 3 to the 5200 when you power it on.

Also, be aware that most standard 5200 controllers won't work (even if they've never been used!), unless they've been reconditioned. This is due to the kind of buttons Atari used with these. There are various solutions to the issue, ranging from gluing foil to the buttons to increase conductivity, to replacing all the buttons with gold contacts from Best Electronics. There are lots of threads on this forum about how to refurbish these controllers.

You might also want to be aware that many (but not all) users aren't happy with the controllers even when they do work. The issues cited are typically the non self-centering joysticks, the mushy fire buttons, and possibly hand cramps from the non-ergonomic design. There are numerous alternatives, but sadly none are easily available. My personal favorite is the Coin Controls Competition Pro joystick... it gives you a stick vaguely similar a 2600 stick (but with two buttons), but you still need a standard 5200 stick to have the needed Start, Pause, and Reset buttons. Other alternatives are the Wico stick, the Masterplay or Redemption adapters to use standard 2600 sticks, or a homebrew adapter to use old PC gameport joysticks. Again, many threads exist about all these options here on the 5200 forum.

Hope this helps!

Edited by sdamon
  • Like 1

Many of the loose ones I come across are missing the controller bay door on the back of the console. Best ones I have come across for relatively cheap are normally at yard sales and flea markets. I got my 4-port with two Wico sticks and 5 games for $10 a couple years ago at a yard sale. You have to look long and hard though.

As for the OP, I recommend the 4-port model over the 2-port version because it plays all 5200 games. The only advantage to the 2-port model is that it will accept the VCS game adapter, but not many people need those anyway since VCS consoles are readily available. Plus, you cannot play 4 players on Super Breakout or Medieval Mayhem on the 2-port version. Just my 2 cents...