IGNORED

NTSC 2600 to PAL TV ( ? )

macdlsa

This discussion I'm having with some people in another (italian) forum could probably reminds the "5-wire-modchip" for the Playstation, as it did for some of us :)...

WELL,

I live in a PAL region, but I own several NTSC carts that my PAL L6 obviously shows (on a PAL TV) with wrong colors.

TV viewing basics and TIAs different color palette apart, I really have to know one thing:

Could it be possible for a S-Video/CVBS modded NTSC 2600 to show on a PAL TV (of course capable to catch the 60hz signal) the right NTSC colors ?

Sorry for that probably not-well translated phrase... :ponder:

I want to say:

A> I have PAL TVs, 50/60 Hz (but not-multistandard)

B> I own several 2600 NTSC carts

C> I (want to) have a NTSC 2600, modded with the S-Video/CVBS (+ stereo audio out...:)) modboard (LongHorn ?)

= Is it enough at all to view NTSC games with their right colors on a PAL television ?

As long as your PAL TV will display an NTSC signal you will be fine.

I have an NTSC Sears Heavy sixer (8bit domain mod) and an NTSC 7800 (Longhorn mod) that runs perfectly well on my PAL Sony CRT TV's and ok on a 19" cheap LCD.

It will not display at all on my LG 19" LCD, but looks great on my 42" LG Plasma.

It is a bit of a gamble, especially with really modern TV's but you should be ok.

Well, with my PAL L6 on PAL TVs that are capable to "sync" the 60Hz signal I see the NTSC carts video with "only" wrong colors (all the rest is perfect and extremely more enjoyable than PALs), 'cause an NTSC game program tell to the PAL TIA to point at a specified color, but it's obviously not the same color intended by the programmer, since the two palettes are different :)

The matter is that anything I know about the video of the VCS leads me to say that even if I have NTSC games into a modded NTSC VCS viewed on a PAL TV I cannot see the right colors...

This problem would not have been occured if VCS had an RGB out, 'cause in that way the cathode electron beams are directly "driven" by the Red/Green/Blue signals :) , while composite or separate (luma/chrome) video "mix" colors all together in one only signal...

I supposed that some VCS modboard had a sort of internal DAC/DSP, but I was wrong :(.

At least, I have to catch, as well as an NTSC VCS, a NTSC/multistandard CRT TV :)

... or I'll have to use the LCD TV in the living room, with both great joy for me and my daughter and great sorrow for my wife :D !

[ Again, sorry for any translation troubles... I use my "refreshed" school english :)]

I've only seen one television that can correctly decode the ntsc colour signal via rf.

However nearly every crt from the 90's onwards can via composite, s-video and rgb

I have my ntsc 2600 modded for S-video and the tv displays it just fine.

My tv model is a Sony KV29 F1U btw.