IGNORED

Mega Drive/Master System/Genesis control port

LosOjos

Hi all,

I picked up a Mega Drive (first version) for a couple of quid on eBay with the intention of adding the 50/60hz mod and Jap/Eng mod to it.

Problem is, it looks like the console has been butchered for spares, as one of the control ports is missing!

Any idea where I can source one? They've done a tidy job of removing the original one so soldering a new one on shouldn't be a problem, I just don't know where to find one...

I'm thinking this could work, what do you think?

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2306379609991?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=230637960999&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I fixed a 2600 with these metal ports once, it gave it a very industrial look, and didn't look ugly at all (to me at least). But with the bolted on ports, you won't ever have to worry about them coming separated from the mainboard again.

Also if you do use the bolt-ons, use wire to attach it to the mainboard, you'll need the play they give, as the board is attached to the bottom of the case, and the ports will need to attach to the top half.

It'll look very industrial. I like the idea.

Possibly, but it'll look ugly, being bolted-in & whatnot. If you keep looking you should find a closer match out there.

I know what you're saying, but sourcing a matching one is proving to be extremely difficult...

Just use replacement 2600 ports.

Great idea, know where I can get one?

I fixed a 2600 with these metal ports once, it gave it a very industrial look, and didn't look ugly at all (to me at least). But with the bolted on ports, you won't ever have to worry about them coming separated from the mainboard again.

Also if you do use the bolt-ons, use wire to attach it to the mainboard, you'll need the play they give, as the board is attached to the bottom of the case, and the ports will need to attach to the top half.

It'll look very industrial. I like the idea.

Glad to know these will work, were the pinouts at all odd or were they laid out in the same order on the board as on the connector? I could get out the multimeter to check, but I'm lazy :P

I wonder if maybe I should replace both ports so that although they won't look original, they will match at least... and maybe a silver paint job... I can see this becoming a frankenstein!

I have about 20 new ones in my Garage, if you want to pay shipping I can sort you out

That'd be great, how much would you want for one?

Also, do you mind me asking where you managed to get them all from? Just thinking if there's a good source for console parts like that it might be handy to know about...

I have about 20 new ones in my Garage, if you want to pay shipping I can sort you out

That'd be great, how much would you want for one?

Also, do you mind me asking where you managed to get them all from? Just thinking if there's a good source for console parts like that it might be handy to know about...

I can't honestly remember, I bought them years ago, maybe if I dig them out I can find some info on the label.

PM me your address, and we can work it out.

• Like 1