IGNORED

Colecovision peripherals

tz101

Can the roller controller and/or expansion module #2 (steering wheel) be repaired? I am guessing the optical sensor on both is gone out, or maybe a capacitor nearby (no motion is registered on-screen when using the roller ball or the steering wheel). Does anyone have experience with these?

I did a quick google search for optical sensors and found nothing close to what I see inside these.

I did, however, notice that the sensor inside the roller controller has a capacitor next to it on the PCB. Maybe that is the culprit? How can I test this theory?

Thanks.

TZ

Hi - I don't know if you already have this info, but if not, perhaps something on this site will help you?

http://www.colecovisionzone.com/page/coleco%20industries/module2.html

I just picked up a box of ColecoVision stuff and have not had the chance to test out both my expansion modules 1 + 2.

Good luck and LMK how it goes!

• Like 1

Can the roller controller and/or expansion module #2 (steering wheel) be repaired? I am guessing the optical sensor on both is gone out, or maybe a capacitor nearby (no motion is registered on-screen when using the roller ball or the steering wheel). Does anyone have experience with these?

I did a quick google search for optical sensors and found nothing close to what I see inside these.

I did, however, notice that the sensor inside the roller controller has a capacitor next to it on the PCB. Maybe that is the culprit? How can I test this theory?

Thanks.

TZ

I think probably your best bet would be to put the roller controller in joystick mode. Under that mode it should work to control direction for any normal joystick game. That will eliminate the optical sensors as the problem. The fact that both are not working to me makes the ColecoVision system itself suspect as the roller controller/driving controller input on the joystick port is the same for both. If you swap the roller controller joystick connectors, it will swap the X and Y directions.

Are you powering both the driving controller and roller? Both require power to work... batteries for the driving control or the tap off the main system power for the roller.

If you have a copy of slither or another roller controller game which works in roller mode, you should be able to test your driving controller as well (it will only operate the X or Y direction, depending on which you use).

EDIT: Oh yeah, a super game that uses the spinner should work as well.

Edited by Geoff Oltmans