IGNORED

Atari Mindlink Question

Atari Joe

I have a question regarding the Atari Mindlink, which was an accessory in development in 1983/1984 intended for the 2600 & 7800.

Now everybody knows that the Mindlink had development problems and was probably a flawed concept from the start. My question is: Was the Mindlink officially canceled by Atari Inc. prior to Warner's sale of the company to Jack Tramiel because it was so cumbersome, or was it officially canceled by Tramiel after the sale as a cost-cutting measure, just as the HSC, 7800 keyboard etc. had been?

Thanks

Atari_CO25618-001-RevA_6.jpg

My question is: Was the Mindlink officially canceled by Atari Inc. prior to Warner's sale of the company to Jack Tramiel because it was so cumbersome, or was it officially canceled by Tramiel after the sale as a cost-cutting measure, just as the HSC, 7800 keyboard etc. had been?

Maybe you should strap one on & ask a VCS ;-)

I believe there's more evidence to support the latter:

"One month after Mindlink's introduction, Atari's Consumer Electronics and Home

Computer divisions were sold to Tramiel Technologies Ltd. Jack Tramiel and his sons

saw the Mindlink as a toy; they canceled it's development at a cost of many millions of dollars.

Contracts for tooling and semiconductor/IC development had been signed

with toolmakers and National Semiconductor. For those of us that were not dismissed,

Tramiel's stated objective was to destroy compete against Apple."

That was quoted from this article: http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/2600/mindlink.html

This type of headset/controller entered mass production in 2009 (just 25 years late).

force-trainer.jpg

Somebody hacked it shortly after, and posted a neat demo where you could see very consistent changes as your thoughts vary:

2l9qgwi.jpg

Around that time, I came up with a way to adapt the base station (receiver) to plug into the Atari 8-bit/2600/7800, appearing as two paddles (for attention and meditation).

Nowadays, they only cost $36 on Amazon, and the adapter would only add a few more dollars.

So for around $50, you could have a wireless MindLink that actually works.

But unless someone can uncover some MindLink prototype games, it probably isn't worth the effort.

- KS

Edited by kskunk

Wow you guys seem to know even less about this than I do.

I just wonder if it existed beyond that promo shot or if it was just a mock up from the start.

It definitely exists. Regan Cheng (5200, XL) did the product design and there were at least two working prototypes that are still out there somewhere. One of them is the one in the picture which looks refined enough for retail sale and the other is just the electronic components.

But unless someone can uncover some MindLink prototype games, it probably isn't worth the effort.

Yes, BIONIC BREAKTHROUGH exists and is downloadable here on AtariAge, however it was only designed as a demo to show off the technology during development, I don't think it was ever intended for retail sale.

It was killed during the project evaluation period during that July '84 after the takeover, because as Leonard told me they thought it was a joke and waste of money.

THANK YOU Marty. That was the sort of answer I was looking for and about what I had expected.

I can totally see the Tramiels seeing the Mindlink and thinking "wtf?" :| It was a neat idea but gave people headaches, they probably should have gone with something else like an Atari Glove or better yet some awesome crisp responsive joysticks for all Atari systems.

• 3 weeks later...

It was killed during the project evaluation period during that July '84 after the takeover, because as Leonard told me they thought it was a joke and waste of money.

One would have to possess a mind to connect the MindLink Controller to in the first place... :)

I kid, I kid. Sorry, that was a reflexive act from a former Atari Corp. shareholder, and well, much less tame comments were constantly uttered amongst Atarians at user's group meetings...

This gives you a good summary:

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/2600/mindlink.html

I have a fully working setup and its an amazingly responsive and accurate device.

Curt

Cool! Is it possible to make more? Maybe just a mapping of the controls so a joystick could be made inorder to play some of the mindlink protos that are out.