IGNORED

Tarzan by Coleco - MANUAL ONLY

NIAD

A couple weeks ago I had the tremendous fortune to come in contact with a former Coleco employee and proceeded to acquire his large ColecoVision and ADAM Computer collection. Mixed in with all the ColecoVision and ADAM manuals was the Atari 2600 version of the unreleased Tarzan game manual (as well as the released Mr. Do manual)... I had to check with AtariMania.com to verify as I honestly have no clue when it comes to anything Atari, except for what they produced for the ColecoVision.

So, can anyone else verify that the Tarzan game was never officially released and no protos have been found and what kind of interest might there be if I decide to sell them... and a fair price for both me and the prospective buyer.

Thanks

• Like 1

My only question early on is... would you be willing to post a scan for the community's archives, even if you decided to sell?

Note-- I am guessing this thread will have 4 types of responses:

- guys respectfully asking if you've considered willingly sharing your find (I'm included in those guys)

- guys low-balling you with crappy offers and PM's

- a handful of people telling you the legit value

- guys demanding you share your find and insinuating that you suck if you don't do so.

Just be forewarned. It's a pretty loaded question. :)

-John

My only question early on is... would you be willing to post a scan for the community's archives, even if you decided to sell?

- guys respectfully asking if you've considered willingly sharing your find (I'm included in those guys)

- guys demanding you share your find and insinuating that you suck if you don't do so.

-John

This.

-John

I can provide pics (see below) but I don't have a working scanner at the momemt.

I hear you re. all the typical responses that may be had and we've had our share of these moments on the CV/ADAM Forum. Unfortunately I wasn't lucky enough to come across the cart in complete, Prom, or rom image format like I did with finally coming across the unreleased ColecoVision version of A.E (actually an In-House conversion from the ADAM to CV format). I was looking for that one for some 25 years, even though an ADAM Computer version was released in data pack format back in 1984.

Concerning A.E., this game will be released by CollectorVision with a box and manual and then the rom image will be made available freely after the cart run is sold out... so I'm not about trying to raise people's hopes and then disappearing like so many others. You can read more about it in the CV/ADAM Forum.

Anyhow, thanks for your honest and quick response and trust me, I got pretty thick skin and don't have to high of an opinion of myself. :D

EDIT: Time for a new camera as well.

post-25956-0-38606300-1312939643_thumb.jpg

post-25956-0-39869900-1312939651_thumb.jpg

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 3

WOW :lust: So very impressive. I would love to have this but I'm sure I couldn't afford it. I guess I didn't even realize Tarzan was being readied for the 2600. Good luck to you and thanks for showing this!

Tarzan for the 2600 was shown at the 1983 CES (can't remmber off hand if it was winter or summer) . However, they only showed a video clip of the game, not an actual one on a 2600.

Edited by rolenta

WOW :lust: So very impressive. I would love to have this but I'm sure I couldn't afford it. I guess I didn't even realize Tarzan was being readied for the 2600. Good luck to you and thanks for showing this!

Tarzan for the 2600 was shown at the 1983 CES (can't remmber off hand if it was winter or summer) . However, they only showed a video clip of the game, not an actual one on a 2600.

I didn't see any listing for it here on AA, but AtariMania.com does mention that the game exists (in what stage of completion, who knows) and you would think there would be a finished cart or proto since there obviously was a run of manuals.

Very Nice! :cool:

As a collector of manual scans, I would love to see those scanned...It's too bad you don't have a scanner. :( If you do ever have a chance to scan them (at a friends house or whatever...) please do share them here. :D

And congrats again on your find. :thumbsup:

Cool stuff! Odd to see a manual for an unreleased game pop up before a proto is found. I'm curious about what it says since it might give a clue to what it might play like.

Will post complete pics in the next day or two for everyone to enjoy. Only quickly glanced through the manual and it looks like it plays almost identical to the ColecoVision version.

Have you tried contacting the former Coleco employee again to see if he has the Tarzan game? It is worth a shot.

Yes, I have sent him an email asking if he has any of the Atari 2600 games released or unreleased by Coleco and, of course, Tarzan was one I asked about. Part of his responsibilities while working for Coleco was inspecting the manuals and, to a greater extent, all the boxes prior to OK'ing production runs. This being the case, I can see how he would have the manual and possibly not the proto or finished game.

Coleco did used services from James Wickstead Design Associates to make Tarzan on 2600 due to its special chip I suppose...

James Wickstead Design Associates did works on many Atari2600 games actually

The game surely get completed, I also do have a Screenshot and Boxart of Tarzan in my archive wich will be soon seen in our (NIAD & I) Coleco Museum :)

There was a coleco version of tarzan on ebay yesterday.

Really? ... do you have the link?

... But if that is the 2600 version then why does the manual say if your using a gemeni controller. You can't use a gemeni controller o a 2600 can you?

Because you can play using a Gemini console

As for using a Gemini controller on a stock 2600... why not?

I'm not 100% sure but they might be compatible too

There was a coleco version of tarzan on ebay yesterday. Too bad 2600 never got a release. But if that is the 2600 version then why does the manual say if your using a gemeni controller. You can't use a gemeni controller o a 2600 can you?

Gemini plays 2600 games. Controllers work on an actual 2600 and vice versa. I wasn't surprised to see Gemini stuff in the manual since it makes sense for coleco to endorse their products.

Edited by BrianC