IGNORED

600 XL

Inky

The 600XL is a nice machine, I prefer the 1200XL if you invest some time in upgrading the OS and doing the SuperVideo 2.1 Mod to it. It just has a better keyboard and I prefer the cart on the side as opposed to the top on the 600/800XL's and on the back of the XE's

The 600XL is a nice hackable little computer, you can add Composite video to it, Best & B&C sell Atari 1064 memory modules that you just plug right into the back PBI port and it brings it up to a full 64K so you can use disk drives and other peripherals.

All in all, its a nice system and depending on what you plan to do:

Just play games

Make an SIO2PC cable, hook it up to your PC and run downloaded Games

Program on it (after upgrading the memory and such)

You can have a lot of fun with it and get a lot of great use out of it.

Curt

My plan is to let my kids use it as their first computer, so naturally I'll be seeking out the sesame street titles for it.

But I may fire up a game of Canyon Climber every now and then..  :)

When you are gonna upgrade the memory I suggest to use an internal upgrade instead of the 1064. This has to be plugged on the back of the computer but with childeren moving sometimes the machine around it can get broken. A internal one would be good.

Secondly I have still my 600XL the XL series almost never brake down.

It's very good for childeren use...

TXG/MNX

When you are gonna upgrade the memory I suggest to use an internal upgrade instead of the 1064. This has to be plugged on the back of the computer but with childeren moving sometimes the machine around it can get broken. A internal one would be good.

Secondly I have still my 600XL the XL series almost never brake down.

It's very good for childeren use...

TXG/MNX

How easy is the internal memory to install?

I was just cleaning out my storage room and re-discovered my 600XL. It must be close to 20 years since I played with it. I'm thinking of taking it out for my kids to play with as well.

I would be interested in knowing how to do the internal memory upgrade as well.

I've seen sites that describe the SIO2PC and video upgrades but I haven't come across the memory one yet.

I also have 2 1050 disk drives and graphics tablet.

Unfortunately, I can't find any of my cartridges! I should have about 20 or so. I also don't remember a thing about using it but I seem to have kept the manuals.

This 600XL was my second computer - it replaced a 400. I then went to a 520ST and then to 1040ST but I sold them both around 1992-93. I wish I hadn't.

I'm looking forward to booting up the 600XL.

Cheers,

Civilan

• 2 weeks later...

I tried out my 600 Xl, and ... It didn't work. Actually, it was only a stuck asterisk key. Cleaned that and WOO HOO! It works, and all the diagnostics work fine too! Now I'm just waiting for the $14 Missle Command I stupidly won on E-Pay!