IGNORED

Recently joined the 7800 club

thegoldenband

My girlfriend bid on, and won, a lot on Shopgoodwill.com that had a 7800 console, a pair of TAC-2 joysticks, and a bunch of Atari 2600 and 7800 cartridges. Total cost with shipping was a bit over $80. I'll post elsewhere about the 2600 items, some of which were fairly unusual, but here's what I got for the 7800 (all loose):

Asteroids

Ballblazer

Donkey Kong Junior

F-18 Hornet

Joust

Karateka

Mario Bros.

Pete Rose Baseball

Rampage

RealSports Baseball

Title Match Pro Wrestling

Tomcat: The F-14 Fighter Simulator

Tower Toppler

Water Ski

Unfortunately the power supply doesn't have the custom connector, but ends in a couple of bare wires. It's a 24471-001, so I guess someone snipped it off for some reason. Maybe the previous owner was splicing it directly onto the posts...? Yikes! I've ordered one from Atariguide.com, though, so I'm hoping to fire this thing up by midweek.

It also didn't come with any 7800 controllers, so we won't be able to play some of these games properly at first. I let myself believe that the TAC-2s in the picture might turn out to be some unheard-of 7800 controller, but 'twas not to be. One of the TAC-2s works great, the other has a problem that I'm hoping to fix (can't go left).

Anyway, I thought we got a pretty decent bunch of games all told, including some rarities. Assuming my console works, I'm looking forward to joining the club! Seems like it's a good time to get into the 7800, with the XM and all these games in the pipeline. I've actually played the console a fair bit in emulation, especially Tower Toppler and Midnight Mutants, both of which I finished (using savestates) 5-6 years ago.

Edited by thegoldenband
  • Like 1

I might have one or two 7800 joysticks in my inventory if you need them. Just let me know and I will take a look in my storage bins for you.

Hey, thanks! I may well take you up on that, once I know whether the console itself is functional. I assume it is, but I've been having a small, bad run of DOA console purchases.

Let me preface this post by apologizing to TheGoldenBand for hijacking his thread, but I didn't want to spam the forum. I too have also joined the 7800 club this past week, acquiring a working console, 2 controllers, RF and AC adatper* for 20.00 +5 games at a dollar each (Karateka, Galaga, Pole Position II, Asteroids & Food Fight). The * next to the AC adapter is that the cord was severed and frayed about 1/4" from the connector, as if someone ran a carving knife through it. I was able to solder the wires back together and play it for a bit without issue, but I'm currently looking for a long term fix. In any event, Congrats to TGB, and I can finally feel like I belong here as a member! :)

Let me preface this post by apologizing to TheGoldenBand for hijacking his thread

Not at all, you're more than welcome to join in! And thanks for the congrats, BTW.

The * next to the AC adapter is that the cord was severed and frayed about 1/4" from the connector

Too funny that yours has a connector issue too -- is the end of it gone completely, or just severed? My understanding is that there's a pretty easy mod that'll let you replace the proprietary connector with whatever you want. It's a bit beyond me but for someone with your skills it should be a piece of cake!

Edited by thegoldenband