IGNORED

7800 noisy audio ?

Charlie_

My 7800 has very noisy audio. It sounds like static if the channel wasn't tuned in properly. When the screen is mostly dark it is pretty quiet but something like the intro screen to Crossbow, or the game play screens of Commando it is very bad. So bad I can't really play, it starts to give me a head ache. When I play 2600 I haven't really noticed it being too noisy.

Is there anyway to fix this? Components to change or should I just start the search for a new console?

Is there anyone in the 7800 community who repairs these consoles? Is this a know issue and would an AV mod fix this?

I've know the 7800 makes some static sound until its warmed up, but this is bad. On some TV tuners its not as bad as others.

I haven't had the system hooked up in a while and I dont remember it being this bad before.

Sounds like you need to tune the audio frequency.

Look at the 7800 system board and you will see a tall red plastic thing just below and to the left of the cart slot. It's a variable inductor that controls the 7800 audio frequency. You can tune it with a plastic hex wrench.

Mitch

Look at the 7800 system board and you will see a tall red plastic thing just below and to the left of the cart slot. It's a variable inductor that controls the 7800 audio frequency. You can tune it with a plastic hex wrench.

Mitch

Thanks Mitch. That is what it was. Seems impossible to get it to go away completely but I have it adjusted very good now.

Mitch

Thanks Mitch. That is what it was. Seems impossible to get it to go away completely but I have it adjusted very good now.

If you're up to it, AV mod it. That will really clean up the sound, open up the soundstage and provide tremendous dynamic range.