IGNORED

Battlezone tips?

orangefunk

Anyone got any good Battlezone tips..?

My highest score is around 60,000 or so (yep seriously bad I know) but I used to see 500,000 a few times at the local fair. Whats the best strategy?

I find that its impossible to play once the Super Tanks arrive as they move so darn fast

Any help graciously received!

That appears to be made for the arcade machine. There are two serious shortcomings in the 2600 version...

In the arcade game, you are given two sticks to manuver (i.e. like the classic controls of a tank). The single 2600 stick makes quick manuvers that much more difficult to pull off. The ability to "spin" seems to be missing as well...you can only turn in place or drive in a curve. The second disadvantage is that I can never seem to hit the tanks when they are far away and off the main screen (can anyone do this?). On the arcade machine, you can often hit them as long as they are still on your radar.

The main advantage of the 2600 version seems to be the guided missiles, which are very easy to outmanuver compared to the arcade machine (the arcade's "spin" helps greatly here).

In both versions, the main stratagy would seem to be driving in reverse as much as possible...and turning in between the times that the enemy fires at you. This amount of time is seriously curtailed in the 2600 version, since it's difficult (impossible?) to hit the enemy tanks once they disappear from view.

• 11 months later...

60,000 points doesn't sound too shabby to me. That's around where my highest is. Well, you probably already know to not pull back when the guided missiles come out. When they first appear, I just sit and let them come to me. Around 30,000 points when they get smarter, I usually move toward them and shoot. Bad move? I wouldn't mind a few tips either.