IGNORED

Prototype Logitech device- any info?

Uzumaki

Logitech is known for making popular gaming keyboard and accessories but I picked up something that has me scratching my head.

I thought I'd be able to figure this mystery device by looking up the hardware ID that shows up when I plugged it in but the ID doesn't turn up anything in the top 3 internet search provider so it may have been unreleased device from a canceled project.

It runs on USB and doesn't have any port or need external power, there is only "Logitech" logo on front and "LCD Build 1 #17 03/28/05" on back. No FCC ID or anything.

When I plugged it in, I got garbage display on the 160x43 LCD display (may be taller than 43 dots but I can't open the unit to see if rest of LCD was hidden or not) There are 6 buttons on it but 5 seems to do nothing, may be driver dependent. The 6th button cycles LCD backlight off/low/high

I thought it may be related to LCD display used on G15 keyboard but keyboard driver I downloaded didn't do anything for the display.

See picture. Included is one SS of hardware ID from the device. If I can find my tiny screwdrivers, I'll open it to see what's inside.

post-11037-0-72560100-1313519830_thumb.jpg

post-11037-0-37239200-1313519847_thumb.jpg

post-11037-0-17707800-1313519859_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I found the screwdriver and took it apart. Took some more pictures. I couldn't quite remove the PCB because it's hardwired to the push buttons and the buttons are mounted to the front of the unit. This is what I got: one chip a cy7c66113 which is 4 port USB hub so something was probably planned for this and I have the earlier version without the extra ports. On the other side of the PCB is the LCD that is mounted on the PCB. No components on that side of the PCB.

post-11037-0-32732900-1313582295_thumb.jpg

post-11037-0-02288600-1313582305_thumb.jpg

Could be. I asked over at Logitech forum, got an useless post explaining that I have an "illegal" prototype device that shouldn't have gotten out of Logitech. Nothing useful. I didn't ask for tech support since I doubt the tech support has info on unreleased stuff.

Don't you just love it when people have absolutely nothing to add, so they say something just to sound important and feel like they are included? I have no idea what that thing is. Other than seeing this post on the new content section, I'd have never have noticed it. Since no one knows what it is, I thought I'd come in here to feel smart by identifying it. Since it is clearly not a meat popsicle, or a sex toy of any kind, I will just part with E=MC². I'm so cool! :cool:

AX

Maybe it's an adult version of tamagotchi? One where you control the mating pair and how it goes out can influence how powerful the offspring ends up for arena battles?

:D

I'll probably put this away under unknown proto. Maybe in 10 years I'll dig it up and ask again. Hopefully I'd find an ex-Logitech employee who remembers this and has a loose lips.

• 2 months later...

How do you know it was from Logitech? If you can explain the item more maybe I can give info. Try to find a logitech company timeline

Because it seems absurd that someone else would stamp the Logitech logo onto the plastic casing, perhaps?

• Like 3

Logitech is known for making popular gaming keyboard and accessories but I picked up something that has me scratching my head.

I thought I'd be able to figure this mystery device by looking up the hardware ID that shows up when I plugged it in but the ID doesn't turn up anything in the top 3 internet search provider so it may have been unreleased device from a canceled project.

It runs on USB and doesn't have any port or need external power, there is only "Logitech" logo on front and "LCD Build 1 #17 03/28/05" on back. No FCC ID or anything.

When I plugged it in, I got garbage display on the 160x43 LCD display (may be taller than 43 dots but I can't open the unit to see if rest of LCD was hidden or not) There are 6 buttons on it but 5 seems to do nothing, may be driver dependent. The 6th button cycles LCD backlight off/low/high

I thought it may be related to LCD display used on G15 keyboard but keyboard driver I downloaded didn't do anything for the display.

See picture. Included is one SS of hardware ID from the device. If I can find my tiny screwdrivers, I'll open it to see what's inside.

My suspect is, this is from a G15 keyboard. I have one, and 5 of the buttons don't do anything unless you have the Logitech G15 Gaming Software installed off of their website. The 4 buttons go through the different menus and one button selects things accordingly. The last button changes the brightness of the screen (and the lights of the keyboard).

Try going to Logitech's site and downloading the G15 Keyboard Software and see if you can get a picture on the screen :)

My suspect is, this is from a G15 keyboard. I have one, and 5 of the buttons don't do anything unless you have the Logitech G15 Gaming Software installed off of their website. The 4 buttons go through the different menus and one button selects things accordingly. The last button changes the brightness of the screen (and the lights of the keyboard).

Try going to Logitech's site and downloading the G15 Keyboard Software and see if you can get a picture on the screen :)