IGNORED

Frenzy being cancelled...

PacManPlus

How about Crystal Castles?

How about a sea based game where you are a diver and need to find treasure while you avoid sharks, squids, and Octopus?

Or you could Intellivision's Shark Shark. That's a great game and probably not to hard to program. Plus with the 7800 you could have a lot of fish on the screen at once. It's a simple but classic game. Plus with the 7800's graphics it would look pretty slick.

Allan

How about a sea based game where you are a diver and need to find treasure while you avoid sharks, squids, and Octopus?

Or you could Intellivision's Shark Shark. That's a great game and probably not to hard to program. Plus with the 7800 you could have a lot of fish on the screen at once. It's a simple but classic game. Plus with the 7800's graphics it would look pretty slick.

Allan

Eh, first one sounds like Aquaventure...

Second sounds like the homebrew Go Fish. Sorry to pee on your ideas!

Bob will come up with an awesome idea. I'm sorry to hear about the Moon Cresta thing being a duplicate, but Bob will come up with a winner I'm most certain. (and that Idea is Dreadnaught Factor II). :P

Allan

Eh, first one sounds like Aquaventure...

Second sounds like the homebrew Go Fish. Sorry to pee on your ideas!

Bob will come up with an awesome idea. I'm sorry to hear about the Moon Cresta thing being a duplicate, but Bob will come up with a winner I'm most certain. (and that Idea is Dreadnaught Factor II). :P

Don't worry. You're not peeing on my ideas. Everyone's got there favorite types of games. Yea Bob will come up with something fantastic as usual. Throwing up ideas here might inspire him to go in this or that direction in a game idea.

And speaking of that. The 7800 could use some puzzle games.

Allan

Hi Guys:

Being that Opcode is working on a home port of Moon Cresta for the ColecoVision (which will no doubt be excellent, as all of his other releases): http://www.atariage....-cresta-thread/

and SpiceWare is working on a Berzerk/Frenzy clone for the 2600 (which is also breathtaking): http://www.atariage....0-frantic-2600/

(God, these guys are awesome!)

I see no reason to duplicate efforts when I could be working on another project.

Thanks guys!

Bob

Bob,

Please do what you believe is best. However, there were many ports/hacks of your other release games as well. For example, Opcode has already released Pac-Man Collection, there was Atarisoft's Pac-Man on the ColecoVision as well. The 2600 has myraids of Pac-Man/Ms. Pac-Man games. Yours though is specifically for the 7800. :cool:

I'm not trying to discourage your decision, but encourage you to realize that regardless what ports whether how great or bad are released to other systems, yours are for the 7800 and very much appreciated (and needed) on that platform.

Regardless, I wish you all the best and much success on whatever you decide to tackle next :)

• Like 3

ok - ok....

Moon Cresta stays... But I will definitely need help from Eduardo with what the arcade does in terms of enemy movement (I hope he can help me). Everything else is no problem for me.

But you guys have to check out SpiceWare's 'Frantic'. To have both a Berzerk and Frenzy clone in one will be remarkable. It even creates the maze the same way as the arcade. :)

Back to the drawing board ;)

Bob

• Like 4

Oh, that's a sad thing to read, Bob. I was quite looking forward to your version of it. Guess I'll have to stick to using the CV when I want a round of it.

Alas, this just means you have more time for Pac & Pal. ;)

No matter what it is you're doing, keep up the good work, the 7800 owes you a great deal. :D

Edited by DocEss

Thanks for the kind words, but bummer - don't cancel because of me!

Frantic's not going to be a direct port of Berzerk/Frenzy, but "inspired by" them with some of my own spin on the game.

One change I'm planning for the Frenzy variation is homing missiles that the tank robots shoot. They'll be able to make 1 course direction change during flight, making them harder to avoid. That's to make up for the inability of the 2600 to show 7 robot shots, as well as adding a reason for 2 styles of robots. I plan to make tank robots sparse at the earlier levels, and increase their appearance in the later levels.

• Like 4

Well ive been working on Moon Cresta for the 2600, so Bob Go back to making Frenzy...or I kill a hundred baby bunnies!:?

Damn Ive been waiting for this game more than most. And it gets the can........I will try to stay calm.........

I really hope you reconsider before I burn my 7800 and games in a dumpster! I would buy both when they come out..Im sure most would.

But you will never get the look of the 7800 frenzy on the 2600. I would be maybe a simuliar game but not Frenzy.....

If you make say a Tron,Krull,Contra,Ghost'n'Goblins or SF2 arcade versions for the 7800 I will forget about this being cancelled.:D

Now I gotta get back to work!

ok - ok....

Moon Cresta stays... But I will definitely need help from Eduardo with what the arcade does in terms of enemy movement (I hope he can help me). Everything else is no problem for me.

But you guys have to check out SpiceWare's 'Frantic'. To have both a Berzerk and Frenzy clone in one will be remarkable. It even creates the maze the same way as the arcade. :)

Bob

well if you are looking for more possibles, we still need Bubble Bobble, Miner 2049'er and a Scramble type game :)

Edited by mimo

ok - ok....

Bob

Bob,

Thank you for your continued work on Moon Cresta. I hope everything turns out the way you planned.

(You always do a great job! :) )

Bob,

I'd hardly call a 7800 version a duplicate since it will have much better graphics, more diverse enemies and if you take advantage of POKEY support, you could do the voice synthesis too.... I honestly think you should continue your work, we you've shown so far looks so good. Its like saying "well, someone did a better Pac Man on the 2600, so why should I do Pac Man on the 7800) I mean... come on! :-)

Curt

Hi Guys:

Being that SpiceWare is working on a Berzerk/Frenzy clone for the 2600 (which is absolutely breathtaking): http://www.atariage....0-frantic-2600/

(God, these guys are awesome!) :)

I see no reason to duplicate efforts when I could be working on another project.

Thanks guys!

Bob

• Like 6

I'd hardly call a 7800 version a duplicate since it will have much better graphics, more diverse enemies and if you take advantage of POKEY support, you could do the voice synthesis too.... I honestly think you should continue your work, we you've shown so far looks so good.

Frantic actually runs a lot of it's code on an ARM processor, and uses fast fetching to push beyond the normal TIA limitations. It's well beyond typical 2600 capabilities...

post-23476-0-61315600-1313971037_thumb.png

...it also features sample playback, multiple colorful enemies, and pseudo-random mazes.

I don't like seeing any project being given up, including this one, but I kind of understand if Bob feels his time might be spent more productively, given that Frantic will also play on 7800s.

Whatever his decision, I have no doubt that what he does make will be be greatly loved! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Bob,

I'm sorry to hear you decided on canceling Frenzy... I was REALLY looking forward to it as it is one of my favorite games... EVER. Please reconsider for the 7800... it would be great to have BOTH your version for the 7800 and SpiceWare's for the 2600. Honestly, both your versions look AMAZING and I will BUY both of them if/when completed.

OK... I'll get off my knees now... *insert wise remark here* ;)

I'm sorry to hear of Frenzy being canceled. I hope you change your mind about that. I was really looking forward to this one. I agree with the others, that I would gladly get both the 7800 Frenzy and 2600 Frantic. I would love to have pokey sound as well.

However, it would ease my pain if you made Cybermorph or Iron Soldier 2 for the 7800 instead. :lol:

...or how about a run-and-gun Contra type game?