IGNORED

Jerryrigging a replacement 5200 power supply

themushroom

Hello, boys and girls... I've been too quiet for years. So now the guy who contributed the "how to use a 2600 power supply on a 7800" part to the 7800 FAQ is going to tell you something some of you already know: how to make your own 5200 power supply for $2 from thrift store parts.

First, the background: I got my 5200 four-port used long ago and played it occasionally. (Noncentering sticks, whose idea was that?) During one of my moves years ago I saw this power supply in my livingroom that I couldn't identify what it went to, despite the huge 'fuji' on the top, and I gave it to charity. Yeah, uh, so here I am today wanting to play some 5200 and that's the only part I can't find because I'm shhhtupid. Not content with the concept of buying one for $20 on eBay since I'm broke and that whole thing about waiting, I went on a thrifting jaunt.

THE WALL-WART: Came from a Microsoft Sidewinder controller, their part number X03-73497. The stock supply is 9.3VDC to 11.5VDC and 1950mA, this one is 12VDC and 1300mA; the FAQ says that the voltage doesn't matter since Atari itself made two versions under the same part number, and personal knowledge says that under-amping isn't going to hurt anything. I'm sure you can find a different power supply of appropriate-range voltage and close-enough amperage at your local junk shop.

THE PLUG: Would you believe... it came off an Epilady hair remover's power supply? The plug is the right size, though when you put it in it may seem a little shorter than it should be but it's still making contact with both terminals on the switch. Attention 5200 FAQ maintainer: The plug size is missing, so I'm now going to tell you what the dimensions are... It's 6.3mm OD, 3.0mm ID, and RadioShack refers to this size currently as "Type Q". Update if you will. If you are more patient than me, you could order a plug of that size from Jameco for less than a buck now that you have the proper dimensions.

The rest you are probably experienced enough to finagle, and remember that the plug should be wired center-positive. On my own project I cut the power cord near the old plug and the plug end cord near the white supply, so that this would be so long that I could plug it into an outlet in the next room. :) Soldered the wires together daintily and used heat-shrink tubing on each line to protect the bare copper. My voltmeter says my 12VDC unit is really pumping out 15.9VDC, but that's not unusual and I suspect the stock units produce something greater than the first-model spec of 11.5VDC anyhow... I've taken the advice in the FAQ about "have faith in the voltage regulator" seriously. :P I've been playing 5200 DigDug for the last fifteen minutes so my jerryrig seems to be accepted fine by the machine and the switch.

Edited by themushroom

Could be worse, we could be talking about kludging together a fully functional 5200 controller. Which I'll do in time -- I've assessed that the two controllers I have each work partially. One has a functional keypad but the bottom fire button doesn't work, the other has two working fire buttons but half the keypad doesn't work.

Edited by themushroom

THE WALL-WART: Came from a Microsoft Sidewinder controller, their part number X03-73497. The stock supply is 9.3VDC to 11.5VDC and 1950mA, this one is 12VDC and 1300mA; the FAQ says that the voltage doesn't matter since Atari itself made two versions under the same part number, and personal knowledge says that under-amping isn't going to hurt anything. I'm sure you can find a different power supply of appropriate-range voltage and close-enough amperage at your local junk shop.

Just be careful if you use something like a 2600 adapter with a smaller amperage supply. The stock supply is probably a little over-spec'ed for whatever might be hanging off the 5200.