IGNORED

Starfox Overclocked

Drakon

Hm. While that is very cool, it seems like there isn't too much improvement on the actual framerate itself. I guess I'd actually have to play it to really feel the difference. Like I can see it, but it still seems somewhat choppy.

Could we see stage 2? Now THAT stage has tons of slowdown and it would be fun to see how the overclock works there.

Regardless, any speed increase is a welcome improvement for Star Fox. :) Good work! I wouldn't mind a cart of this at this speed. The original Star Fox is too slow.

I'm actually surprised the SuperFX 2 chip works on it. I woulda thought it had something new on it that woulda made it incompatible or something. I wonder what the chip would be like on the nearly unplayable Stunt Race FX...

EDIT: I read the log and the system hangs on 30MHz because it's too fast for the programming?

What if you overclocked the SNES itself? Would it help the 30MHz StarFox?

Edited by Yart

There's a big framerate increase. It's hard to tell on youtube because youtube is 30 fps instead of the 60 fps you see on a tv. Which stage 2 do you want? Stage 2 of route 1, route 2, or route 3?

Overclocking the snes itself will probably only make the game music go faster. The way the superfx works is it's literally like an entire console contained inside the cartridge. The snes just works like an oversized passthrough device.

All 3 versions of the superfx chip (mario chip, gsu-1, gsu-2) are fully compatible with each other. In fact all 3 chips seem to even be pin compatible when I looked at the pinouts (they all use the same pin for clock input). The reason why I know they're all compatible is because I have a starfox 1 rom soldered to all 3 different superfx chips and all 3 of them work fine.

Edited by Drakon

• 2 weeks later...