IGNORED

130 xe problems..

sea_man

Hello my name is Mario ,I am a fan of all classic computers and consoles.

:)

Recently they gave me one atari 13 xe with a disk drive xf551 and one printer xmm801 that belong to an uncle. :D

The problem is that when I turn on the computer does a noise,I press a key and numbers appear and letters running towards the sides :? :? .. and nothing happens. But I have tried to write "DOS" and hit "return" and a blue screen goes out with "000000" " and nothing happens. :sad:

They can say to me if 130 xe this damaged and that I can do to arrange it, I have a bit of knowledges of electronics.

sorry for my English , i only speak Spanish. :ponder:

Thank you.

:)

Att: Mario

Well, I'm not exactly sure what your saying, but I'll lead you through what SHOULD happen on power-up, depending on what your trying to do.

If your trying to load a cartridge game, it plugs in the rear, you turn on the computer and it will run.

If your trying to load a disk, you need to hold down the option button when turning on the computer and keep it held until the disk drive starts working. DOS will only load if you have a disk with DOS on it in the drive and load it as stated above. There is no command for DOS (typing it) unless you are using SpartaDos and it's been loaded and you are outside of it, in BASIC for example, then you would type D-O-S to return to the command line. Any other DOS is menu driven on the Atari XE, not command line like MSdos/Spartados.

If you just turn on the computer without holding any key down and the disk drive is off, the basic language screen will appear (blue background with a blinking cursor and it will say "ready" above the cursor).

If anything else happens, then the computer is messed up in some way. By your description, it sounds like a key, like the [start] button may be stuck (it makes a buzz sound if held when powering up because that's the button you hold while starting if you want to load a tape game. The 0's running on the screen sounds like your 0 or O buttons may be stuck as well. It's not uncommon for XE keyboards to have problems, so a new keyboard may be in order, B&C and Best E. have them for about $25.

One way to find out for surew if the computer does work and the keyboard is messing it up is to open up the computer and unplug the keyboard. Then, when you turn the computer on, it should go to the basic screen with the "ready" and the blinking cursor. If it does this, the computer works, but the keyboard has problems.

I am grateful very much for his response, I believe that does not explain well in the previous post :roll: , The problem is that when I press power,

Not to appear the blue screen with "READY" , It remains black and nothing happens , But when I press a key, it does the corresponding sound but only they go out you grate and figures running towards the sides. :?

can you help me to determine the cause of the problem?? :)

Many thanks

Sea_Man