IGNORED

ATARI 7800 PAL B

centrespot

I live in Italy, where the analog TV used PAL B/G systems (B for VHF channels and G for UHF ones) and I was able to use an Atari 2600 from UK (PAL-I, UHF only) on my TV by simply adjusting the audio frequency (there's a variable inductor for that on the console), actually converting it into a PAL-G console.

Since a PAL B Atari 2600 or 7800 outputs on VHF channels, unless your TV can receive VHF (according to this wikipedia page it was discontinued in UK in 1985) you can't do the same.

I think your only option is then to A/V mod the console (the only differences between PAL-B and PAL-I are in RF frequencies, they are the same in composite or s-video). I used the "easier 7800 composite mod" on my PAL B 7800 and I'm very happy with it (Here I posted where to find the signals on the PAL-B board) Anyway, I always play it on a CRT TV. If you plan to connect it to a modern LCD, you should probably try some more advanced mod whith S-video output to get better results.

Edited by alex_79

All my 7800s are PAL B as I managed to get several ex Atari Holland ones (new old stock) some years ago. Many modern flat screens these days sold in the UK will generally support the various PAL formats and even SECAM as a lot of the TVs are now manufactured in Eastern Europe and sold across Europe as a standard model.

There will be exceptions as some manufacturers do release UK models which are generally higher spec and sometimes out sooner than in countries such as Spain and Portugal (as examples), and manufacturers do release lower spec models for Europe-wide that will be on sale long after their equivalent UK model has been discontinued. Sooooooooo, just check your existing TV if you have a flatscreen or check at the dealer if buying a new one.

CRTS are different. From memory you'll get a picture of sorts but with no sound.

Edited by svenski

Have a look on the french ebay, they sometimes have 7800s with a SCART output that gives RGB signals out.

Other that that in the UK you will have no sound. but if you are handy with a soldering iron you can possibly bring this out seperatly. The only problem is UK PAL and european PAL have a different carrier frequency for the sound, picture should be the same.

Some one should really do a video mod (with sound) for PAL units.