IGNORED

Netboot the Apple IIgs

Fletch

So I've often read that an Apple IIgs was capable of booting over an AppleTalk network, but never got around to trying it. Recently I acquired all of the tools to make it happen so I gave it a go today.

I installed AppleShare 3.0 on a Quadra 650 running Mac OS 8.1. I then followed the instructions in the AppleShare manual about installing the GS/OS files needed on the server.

Once completed, I set the IIgs to boot via the LocalTalk port and it worked like a champ.

Here is a quick test video I made.

http://vimeo.com/29542016

It really is rather cool. The IIgs is not a machine I use much, so spending money on a hard drive or compact flash drive is not something I'm interested in. But having this as an option sure makes the machine more usable, and certainly helps my geek cred :)

Edited by Fletch

This is awesome, I have a Rom 3 IIgs and a (upgraded) Performa 475, also i have 1 phonenet adapter but that's all i have (need to get another adapter). This would be my answer to the whole not having software issue, i do have blank disks to use but The 3.5 drive in the P475 is on its last leg, it took me many tries to make a bootable GS/OS tool disk and a demo but it did eventually work, its worse off now.

Where did you get the software from? I found 1 set of apple talk wires a while back only to find out I still need another set. :( Still don't have the software yet. Would love to put the IIgs to use.

The best bet would be to buy 2 phoneNET adapters which can be had for cheap, I am not sure of the legality of downloading Appleshare 3.0 so i will not post to it.

Edited by madmax2069