IGNORED

Space Fury 7800?

DJT

yes, Atari 7800 is able to handle the Colecovision version of Space Fury without the xm like Drac mentioned.

Atari 7800 actually needs the XM for doing the Arcade version of Space Fury though because the arcade version of Space Fury has alien voice.

If a 7800 homebrew author plans on doing a Space Fury port or clone, it would be based on the arcade version.

Edited by 8th lutz

No you wouldnt need the XM for the voice. 7800 can do that fine with out it.

Check out my video for proof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXmyDvftpd8

The XM would be nice to make some graphical updates to the game tho.

But since the arcade was a vector game Im affraid it would never look quite as nice with the 7800 resolution. Not saying it would look bad..just abit more blocky.

Im a big fan of this game too, but really we should push the limits of the system especially with the XM comming out with something on the likes of a new RType or Gradius styled shooter.

Something that has not been see before is my motto.

Time for some true new homebrews and not just all ports of stuff thats on 2,3 other system.

Not saying ports are bad, but if you do a port Id rather see games from the arcade that never had a proper home version.

I said it before and will say it again...Tron,Major Havok,Krull,Speed Rumbler,AVP,Assualt.....and the list goes on.

Edited by nonner242
  • Like 1

If you used pre-rendered sprites a stock 7800 could do the game. If you wanted vector graphics then you'd need the XM for the video frame buffer to draw in. You could probably do the game in 320A since it looks like there are fewer than 8 colours on the main playing area of the screen.

I said it before and will say it again...Tron,Major Havok,Krull,Speed Rumbler,AVP,Assualt.....and the list goes on.

I've been thinking about this list. The only ones I see as being a problem would be AVP and Assault.

If you did AVP in Wolfenstein style (ray cast engine) you could use MARIA's horizontal line drawing ability to good effect, however that would leave you with single colour walls. If you did it as the side scrolling beat-em up then you'd need a good artist on board the project to render the aliens and heroes in 3 colour palettes. The game might also benefit from being done in an isometric style too.

For Assault you'd have to rotate the tank and not all the background graphics. When the tank is hovering you'd also have to overcome the scaled graphics with a good play mechanism too.

I've been thinking about this list. The only ones I see as being a problem would be AVP and Assault.

If you did AVP in Wolfenstein style (ray cast engine) you could use MARIA's horizontal line drawing ability to good effect, however that would leave you with single colour walls. If you did it as the side scrolling beat-em up then you'd need a good artist on board the project to render the aliens and heroes in 3 colour palettes. The game might also benefit from being done in an isometric style too.

For Assault you'd have to rotate the tank and not all the background graphics. When the tank is hovering you'd also have to overcome the scaled graphics with a good play mechanism too.

Yes Mark the AVP beat em up!

I dont see it as a problem at all. Its basically Double Dragon/Final Fight with different characters. Can you imagine the amout of Aliens you can throw on screen! Keeping the sprites small of course. :ponder:

As for any of these game including Assualt I was not particulary talking about just the 7800 for them. It could be any system. Like Assualt on the Jaguar...oh AVP would be perfect for the Jag too.

Tron & Krull on the 7800 seem like a perfect fit.

Im up for the challenge on any of these titles if anyone would ever want to help... :ponder:

Yes Mark the AVP beat em up!

I thought you meant that one, but with AVP on the Jag and Lynx being FPS I thought I'd better cover all the bases.

I dont see it as a problem at all. Its basically Double Dragon/Final Fight with different characters. Can you imagine the amout of Aliens you can throw on screen! Keeping the sprites small of course. :ponder:

They wouldn't need to be that small. It all depends on the colour depth and amount of the background tiles. If you can make things go further with a good tile set, screen layout and some DLIs to change colours it becomes a much more feasible project.

As for any of these game including Assualt I was not particulary talking about just the 7800 for them. It could be any system. Like Assualt on the Jaguar...oh AVP would be perfect for the Jag too.

A full screen rotated background composed of arbitrary tiles would be pretty neat to see on the jag.

Tron & Krull on the 7800 seem like a perfect fit.

Yep! Both games could be done.

Im up for the challenge on any of these titles if anyone would ever want to help... :ponder:

Lets hope somebody takes you up on that offer.

The only problem I can see with Tron is the control scheme.

Mitch

Not with a paddle & joystick holder! :D

You would need a joystick with trigger on the stick, so a standard Atari stick will not work. Also you would need to use a driving controller not paddles.

I think it would be cool if it happened but I just don't see it happening.

Mitch

The only problem I can see with Tron is the control scheme. Mitch
Not with a paddle & joystick holder! :D
You would need a joystick with trigger on the stick, so a standard Atari stick will not work. Also you would need to use a driving controller not paddles. I think it would be cool if it happened but I just don't see it happening. Mitch

Naw, All we really need is that PS2 to Atari controller mod that is being worked on, thats all. ;)

Anyways if it was ever seriously being considered other than me, Im sure there would be something worked out for it.

Never say Never! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Not saying ports are bad, but if you do a port Id rather see games from the arcade that never had a proper home version.

I am totally not trying to make anyone mad here but why would you want a proper home version when you can play the real thing in MAME?

Is it the legal issue or controller issue or something else?

Also prepare to drool:

http://www.apachecontrols.com/products.html

• 1 month later...