IGNORED

Recommendations for monitors

SmileyDude

I'm looking for a good recommendation for a monitor or TV that would work well with classic 8-bit systems, including the 2600, 800XL and Apple IIe. I currently have a working IIe setup with an Apple color monitor, but it doesn't really have the best image quality (partially due to the composite out on the IIe).

I'm planning to mod my 2600 to get better video - most likely the s-video mod - so, really looking for something that will take s-video and composite ideally. VGA could also be useful. Also, since I'm in the US, NTSC compatibility is a must, but having PAL as well would be nice.

I don't care about speakers - I can get audio separately.

I really don't want an LCD for this, unless someone has one that works really well. My experience with LCDs and composite sources hasn't been great. Too blocky looking without that nice natural blending that a CRT provides.

So, does anyone have any good suggestions?

Commodore monitors have composite and s-video (via 2 RCA jacks as the s-video plug didn't exist yet). They support both NTSC and PAL scan rates, I play PAL games on it using both my Atari 2600 and Amiga CD32.

This is a photo of my s-video modded 2600 running on my C= 1084S. I use an S-Video -> 2 RCA cable to connect it. The 1084S has stereo speakers (hence the S). I think all the other Commodore monitors have 1 speaker.

Cyber.jpg

Al uses C= 1702 monitors for the AtariAge display at the events he goes to.

P1010945.jpg

I bet those Sonys have a great picture.

Some C= monitors have RGB support as well. Their initial RGB monitors were digital (RGBI - same as CGA) for the 128. Later ones added analog (sometimes denoted as RGBA) for the Amiga. There's a switch on both of mine (I have a 1084 and a 1084S) that lets you select between RGBI and RGBA.

• 2 weeks later...