IGNORED

Interesting Article on eBay's "Buy It New" Campaign

Mendon

I haven't really used eBay for a couple of years due to overall dissatisfaction. So I'm a bit unaware of what current rules/regulations/etc are in selling items on eBay.

I came across the following article on Yahoo News today about eBays new holiday campaign, Buy it New and Buy It Now, and found it an interesting read:

http://www.dailyfina...-goods-sellers/

I was very surprised to read some of the stat's within the article.... 62% of listings are "Fixed Price"; 70% of listings are "New" products... as it appears eBay has really changed from the garage sale - auction house website I used to frequent.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Which brings up the question?

If Ebay would lose such a huge percentage of sellers(myself included)why,oh why cant someone

with deep pockets start another site?

For cripe sakes,if someone can start a social website with virtually nothing......

I just dont understand

Isnt competition suppose to be good?

• Like 1

Its hard to get sellers to sell on a new site without having buyers. whilst ebay may have moved towards new item listings, it still has millions of listings for second hand stuff. To break into that market and take them on would take VERY deep pockets, take a LOT of advertising and still have little chance of success. Game Gavel has been trying for years to tap into the video game auction market without a lot of success.

Being first has a heck of a lot of advantages. Try setting up a social networking stire today and see how successful you are ;)

ebay is the place people go to search. getting sellers there is not hard. getting buyers is another story.

my belief is that someone could start another site if they could include eBay's auctions, which I'm sure is highly illegal. So it would require deep lawyer pockets to fight eBay. Like Activision vs. Atari.

I actually think a good idea would not be a site but a platform for forums and anyone to have their own auctions. The two would split a percentage of the sale, like 1%.

eBay is super crummy. Amazon couldn't afford eBay and if they could, they probably would realize what a crap platform it is anyway. Amazon is 100x better. Not for sellers, but in general as a company.

I want to use another site, but I sell so much non-video game crap it is hard to bother when I would have to split my business to sell half of my stuff. I can barely keep track of one site. I would like to support gamegavel.com, but I'm terrible at using the site regularly.