IGNORED

WTF is wrong with the AC-adaptors?

WERY

I had one that broke during using at an expo for games and it had been working ever since I purchased it. For many months I've had none at all to use my system with. Recently I purchased a new one and used it today to test a couple of games I just recieved. Suddenly that AC-adaptor broke too and it was as good as new, delivered in its box and...

What makes these things so fragile that they break when you use them? Are they heat-sensitive? Is there a limitied time they can be used before you have to unplug them?

Are there any modification I can do to fix these adaptors so they wont break when I use them?

I have disassembled the old one and checked the fuse but it is whole and I've checked with a multimeter to make sure of that. The old one also smells like if it was on fire but there are no visible signs to indicate that it is burnt or anything.

Edited by WERY

In my experience, that's just low quality workmanship on power supplies-- quantity over quality. I like to use one for all power supplies that I make myself if I possibly can-- using a switching power brick from a laptop and whatever wiring I need to cobble together. I use a setup like that on my Genesis/CD and it works great, doesn't even get warm and pulls it no problem.

They're just cheap.

Yes, one can use other adaptors if there is a suitable one that is compatible but there has to be a way to fix these original ones? As far as I can see, it seems like the Greatz-bridge is built into the AC-adaptor. Perhaps it is in bad condition. However I need some hints if somebody has repaired these things before

• 2 weeks later...

I have gone through both of the AC-adaptors and it seems like it is the ironcore who has imploded. The regulators in the AC-adaptors turned out to be just fine when I checked each component out with my multimeter. It looks like I will have to change the ironcore for a new one that fits into the shell and that gives out the right output on the secondary side.