IGNORED

Double Dragon XM

DracIsBack

Are the SMS sprites doable on the 7800, or would that require the total rewrite of the game?

No, the SMS has a much higher horizontal resolution than the 7800 (256 pixels compared to 160). For the 7800 to beat that, it would need to run in 320 mode and then you sacrifice more color. The SMS can display more colors per sprite than the NES but the 7800 can match it with the much lower resolution (default for both the NES and 7800 is 3 colors per sprite... again, the 7800 can do more). I don't have time to get into technical details, but our 7800 cannot match the SMS in that type of graphics. The 7800's 320 mode is a higher resolution than either the SMS or the NES which works great for some of the early arcade ports, but I don't think we'd want to play a game like Double Dragon in that mode. :)

• Like 3

Sorry, Lynxpro...I misinterpreted your question. I didn't consider a 1:1 sprite translation is what you were looking for. Rather, the thought of transitioning the SMS sprites for the 7800's resolution; trying to match their appearance as best as possible, having the same height but less detail. Kevin explained the issue with a 1:1 SMS to 7800 conversion nice and succinctly.

• Like 2

For fun, here is a comparison of an arcade sprite with the NES, SMS, SMS (edit), 7800 (Marco edit), 7800 (my edit), and 7800 original.

attachicon.gifDD Sprite Compare.png

And if anyone wants to patch their Master System ROM with my sprite tweak, here is an ips. ...

attachicon.gifDouble Dragon -SMS (Spite Tweak).ips.zip

Thanks for the comparison and the IPS patch for the SMS version...Very cool, Kevin! :thumbsup:

Something may have occurred when transposing "7800 Marco", or perhaps it's an older model (?)

The most recent model posted shows the character at the same height as the other 8 bit contemporaries, considerably larger than the original template:

attachicon.gifMarcoDD1.PNG

:)

Great work, Kevin and thanks, Robert. :)

Kevin refers to my 'little' sprite that I have derived quickly from my 'highest' sprite (which is a conversion from NES to 7800).

Honestly, I do not like that 'little' sprite (initially, I did not want to share it), I would have preferred to draw it from scratch but I was too distracted to think about some sprites in 160B mode...

I have updated that 'little' sprite now. :)

post-29074-0-29296000-1443584460_thumb.png

• Like 1

Are the SMS sprites doable on the 7800, or would that require the total rewrite of the game?

Sorry, Lynxpro...I misinterpreted your question. I didn't consider a 1:1 sprite translation is what you were looking for. Rather, the thought of transitioning the SMS sprites for the 7800's resolution; trying to match their appearance as best as possible, having the same height but less detail. Kevin explained the issue with a 1:1 SMS to 7800 conversion nice and succinctly.

... or in other words ;) :
post-29074-0-01244700-1443586190_thumb.png
  • Like 5

Kevin, here just an alternative for Billy/Jimmy's head. Quick lunch break today.

attachicon.gifDD Sprite Compare v3.PNG

That looks remarkably close to the update I did. I would say "great minds think alike" but that might be giving myself too much credit. :lol:

I also changed the brown outlines on the characters to black. I think I like it, but I'll have to wait another 10 days when I'm home to try it out on my TV.

post-9364-0-54998300-1443744403.png

Here's the ips file to patch your Master System ROM. Both the black and brown versions are included.

Double Dragon SMS (Sprite-Color Hacks).ips.zip

Im almost done inking the label art but I also added more thugs on the bottom for more poster like look,

That's looking really good!

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 2

Probably the final edit to this. The shading of the white boots, shirt, and wrist bands is now gray instead of the flesh tone. I don't know why gray wasn't used in the first place, but now it is. :)

post-9364-0-98371400-1443770823.png

Brown option and black option included in zip.

Double Dragon SMS (Sprite-Color Hacks)v2.ips.zip

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin, here just an alternative for Billy/Jimmy's head. Quick lunch break today.

attachicon.gifDD Sprite Compare v3.PNG

That looks remarkably close to the update I did. I would say "great minds think alike" but that might be giving myself too much credit. :lol:

LOL :) ...edit :

"Kevin, here just an alternative for your Billy/Jimmy's head." ;)

Probably the final edit to this. The shading of the white boots, shirt, and wrist bands is now gray instead of the flesh tone. I don't know why gray wasn't used in the first place, but now it is. :)

attachicon.gifNew Billy.png

Brown option and black option included in zip.

attachicon.gifDouble Dragon SMS (Sprite-Color Hacks)v2.ips.zip

Very good! :)

I continued to watch this sprite because his legs seemed a little short than the torso, so I updated the proportions between arms / chest / legs and I cleaned up some details.

I'd like to know if you like the result. :)

post-29074-0-94256600-1444513237_thumb.png post-29074-0-65431900-1444513250_thumb.png

post-29074-0-75921000-1444513272_thumb.png post-29074-0-42913400-1444513282_thumb.png

Something like this wouldn't need the yet to be released XM. CPUWIZ has PCB's that could handle this all day long with Pokey.

But that would eat into the finite supply of POKEYs until the HOKEY is finished. With the XM, it could theoretically use the POKEY, the YM2151, and the 7800's onboard TIA as well. Just using the YM would essentially make it arcade-perfect and the POKEY/TIA additions would just be icing on the cake. However, what was posted earlier of the soundtrack simply using the POKEY was damn-impressive. If there's Double Dragon on the A8, someone should hack that audio into it pronto and post it to the Youtube for all the SIDites to suck on. :)

But that would eat into the finite supply of POKEYs until the HOKEY is finished. With the XM, it could theoretically use the POKEY, the YM2151, and the 7800's onboard TIA as well. Just using the YM would essentially make it arcade-perfect and the POKEY/TIA additions would just be icing on the cake. However, what was posted earlier of the soundtrack simply using the POKEY was damn-impressive. If there's Double Dragon on the A8, someone should hack that audio into it pronto and post it to the Youtube for all the SIDites to suck on. :)

That sounds fine. I'm all for that if someone wants to do that, and would be glad to share the actual .rmt files with anyone interested. For what it's worth, I'm also intending on doing other tracks from the game (basically conversions of the NES soundtrack to the POKEY), but I haven't been able to get back to that project due to work and other things going on. But I have made some small progress on the music for Mission 1.