IGNORED

Local Pick-Up - what would you do?

the.golden.ax

So I've paid for an item that is 6.5 hours away.

The seller on eBay would not allow me to just pay in person when I got there so I had to prepay on paypal. The plan was always that I come up on a Saturday, either last week, or this week.

Last week Friday they told me that there was a 21 day hold on the paypal payment. This is typical for newer sellers. They apparently didn't understand why, and blamed me for reversing the fees. My money has been paid in, and the hold is pending delivery of the goods or 21 days, whatever comes first.

I explained the eBay/paypal hold on fund policy to the seller and asked them to contact paypal to verify.

They come back at me yesterday with a message telling me that in order to get my item, I'll have to log in and give them positive feedback while I'm there, releasing the funds before I can leave with my item. I don't like this (as they have not earned a positive). In most cases where the seller is poor at their job I don't leave feedback of any kind. If they piss me off three or more times they get a negative. So I call eBay and they agree that the seller is not allowed to ask me to leave good feedback to obtain my item.

The ebay rep opens a claim and writes a great letter trying to work it out with the seller. Now, I'm supposed to call ePay once the item is in my car, and then they can release the hold. The seller never writes back. I call the seller (supposedly a retail shop) in Indiana and no answer during business hours.

I've got a finite window of time where I can go get this thing tomorrow. I don't want to spend $100 in gas and 13 hours of my life to come home empty handed. I'm not sure what the answer is on this one. eBay is happy to refund me upon my word that it wasn't picked-up, there is already a claim. I'd much much much rather have my item. It is an uncommon piece and I'm willing to drive 13 hours round trip to get it... Just not sure I should add insult to injury. It smells all wrong.

AX

Personally, I'd rather just not deal with all the extra crap and get the money back. But obviously, you want the item, so that's a driving factor here. There's just enough crap in daily life to not have to go through any extra above and beyond the gas/time.

If they were willing to answer the phone/emails and work it out, that would be an entirely different story.

That paypal hold on the seller is bullshit! I got a letter saying that because I havent sold enough items over $100 in the last 6 months they are now putting a hold on all payments made to me until I get positive feedback or 21 days

I was so pissed I called paypal and said look at my feedback! I have 100% feedback and have sold items for $2,000+ ( I sold my Mickey Mantle collection, every Topps regular issue Mantle card from 1956-1969) and sold most all of my old sets and cards for $100s of dollars

http://feedback.ebay...tab=AllFeedback

They didnt care, they said we look at a number of factors and the fact that you have not been selling is a red flag

I told them that I havent needed to sell anything over the last 6 months and that it was not fair for a seller to take the hit just because they have not been selling as of late and has never ever had a problem with paypal

I told them I would never sell on Ebay again unless they changed the policy, the supervisor said thats fine with us, we need to protect our buisness as well

They were treating me like I was trying to scam them!

I only use paypal to pay until like I said they change their policy

Edited by AlvinKarpis

Just thought of this, but not sure if it's really safe for you. If you take cash with you, and pay in cash, then at least you are pretty much guaranteed to not go home empty handed. Then, if he cancels/refunds the PayPal transaction at the time of pickup, you should both be happy (and PayPal doesn't get any fees for your trouble). Short of the guy not being there, I guess I can't see how that could go wrong if you actually witness him cancel/refund when you're there.

Just thought of this, but not sure if it's really safe for you. If you take cash with you, and pay in cash, then at least you are pretty much guaranteed to not go home empty handed. Then, if he cancels/refunds the PayPal transaction at the time of pickup, you should both be happy (and PayPal doesn't get any fees for your trouble). Short of the guy not being there, I guess I can't see how that could go wrong if you actually witness him cancel/refund when you're there.

This actually sounds like a really good idea.

This actually sounds like a really good idea.

Can't afford it.

AX

I would get your money back and walk away, unless the item is truly one of a kind and in good shape. What if you drive out there and it's covered in mold? Then you have to drive back empty-handed, you lose 13 hours and a load of gas money.

Not to make light of a pervious thread about something that was frustrating for ax but... that was a good reference...

Since you had originally planned to pay in cash on pickup, I thought it was a safe assumption that you had the money. Oh well, that's unfortunate.

I would get your money back and walk away, unless the item is truly one of a kind and in good shape. What if you drive out there and it's covered in mold? Then you have to drive back empty-handed, you lose 13 hours and a load of gas money.

I did have the money $400 to be exact, and I paid it via paypal, after having given up a few prize items as I wanted this thing much more.

It is a 6 foot fiber optic sign that is functional. The seller could have lied about the condition, but I wouldn't expect mold to be an issue if it is in fact functional. The horse shoe could fall on the baby too. My issue on this one is whether I want to waste 13 hours and about $100 in gas for a potential jerk fest. If I didn't really want that thing I wouldn't have gone this far on making it happen. If it works out it's worth it, if not, I'm going to be very butt hurt.

AX

I get it... so PayPal has taken the money out of your account, so it's no longer accessible to you, so you can't take it out in cash anymore? Jeez, that sucks. The guy should have just taken it in cash, maybe with a smaller deposit or something, and the whole thing could have been avoided. I understand his situation to a certain extent, but if he's now going to be an ass about it, then you're out the item, he's out the sale... cripes.

I get it... so PayPal has taken the money out of your account, so it's no longer accessible to you, so you can't take it out in cash anymore? Jeez, that sucks. The guy should have just taken it in cash, maybe with a smaller deposit or something, and the whole thing could have been avoided. I understand his situation to a certain extent, but if he's now going to be an ass about it, then you're out the item, he's out the sale... cripes.

Correct, and I even offered it just like that $50 on paypal $350 when I get there cash. Wouldn't hear of it. Told me to pay or someone else would buy it. When I informed him I was the only bid in a week for the $400 starting price (because hey, I want the thing) he told me that he would sell it local on CL because so many people were interested :roll: I love to be a valuable customer. I've seen a total of three of these signs in a 4 year period. One seller LOCAL TO ME wanted $1,000. Times are tough though. It took some losses on some collection items to afford it.

AX

Okay, so I get there, and the idiot I'd been talking to on the computer isn't there. Turns out to be an little thrift shop run by an older man and woman in their late 60's or early 70's. Kind hearted, real people, nice to talk to, enjoyable to deal with. They are the the real life storage wars types. They buy lockers and sell the contents in their shop. They didn't know much if anything about computers. The man in charge had never heard of Amazon.com for example. Turns out he had no idea the trouble I'd been through, he PREFERS cash, and the girl doing the eBay is a hired employee. He was very disappointed how I was treated. It was a cool shop, I'd have even bought more, and we talk for an hour, new contact, and he will be keeping me in mind if he finds lockers with classic games, arcades, or pinballs.

When I spoke to eBay a few days ago on the phone, remember when I was told by the little lackey working for the seller... I'd have to leave feedback to get my item... Well, I'd called and talked to an eBay rep and opened a case, and explained to the man that I wouldn't feel right leaving positive feedback in order to take my item. The eBay rep and I agreed that the best thing to do was have me call in and cancel the claim when I got there. Not only was that the plan, they crafted an email explaining that this was the plan to the seller. eBay, not I, told the seller via email that they were to load up my sign, then ask me to call eBay to cancel the claim upon loading. This was an official email from eBay. They did as they were instructed, loaded my sign. I got on the phone, after 20 minutes of holding I verify myself, explain the whole thing, tell her that they need to get paid now, and close the case. She says, okay be sure to do that when you get home. I said, I'd like you to do that. She says, that she can't, only the person who opened it can close it ONLINE. She then went into an explanation how to use their computer, clearing their cash, changing my password... etc. I told her I'm not doing it on their machine. I opened it on the phone. WTF. I began to get upset. I said read the case notes, your phone rep said I was to call in and close the case. I want to leave with my sign now, and these people don't think they got paid. Close the case and give them their money. Then she tells me "you are wasting my time!" WOW.... eBay has gone too far. Slap in the face after slap in the face. Their customer service is like a cow looking at an oncoming train. They couldn't give less of a crap about the customer. I asked for the supervisor THREE times, and she kept insisting that it would do me no good since the case can't be closed on the phone. After 10 minutes and 41 seconds holding for the supervisor, I was cut off the call! I call back in three more times, but never got an agent, only automated messages saying the details of the case and to log on to deal with it. In the end after several calls to my wife, I was able to walk her through doing it on our home computer and get these people paid. The end result... young employees suck... foreign employees suck... paypal sucks... eBay sucks... I got my sign and I'm happy... the seller got paid and are happy.

I can see a few things we could have cut out of the equation and had the same end result, and it would have cost everyone a whole lot less in time, stress, and money.

AX

Wow, what a great story. I'm still convinced, that except for a few companies, good customer service is dead. eBay/PayPal is one of the biggest offenders. Clearly, they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground telling you to do one thing then something different. Thanks for the detailed happy ending story. I hope this thing is as cool as the visual I just got from Frank's conjecture.