IGNORED

Video Mods and XM project

metzger130

Reading about the XM project I think it is amazing and hope to get one sometime, but I do have a couple questions when it comes to it and the 7800

1. Everything I'm reading about the upcoming XM sounds great to me, but it is my understanding that it still uses the video/audio out of the original 7800, is this correct?

2. If so, are any of the mods that people do or that can be bought going to mess with the system at all that the XM will not work? I don't know much about the mods, but I just want to make sure that anything I would do to my 7800 would not cause it to become unusable with the upcoming XM.

3. I was looking at the Best Electronics mod since it is a good price and seems easy to do. I posted about it and someone said something about pokey problems with it? i'm not exactly sure what that person was talking about because I didn't know there was pokey on the 7800, thought that it did not have that chip and only had the TIA chip, thus the... less then great sound compared to the 5200.

4. Finally, which mod would be the best for the 7800 when it comes to ease of installing, I am not great at soldering but can do a bit, especially when it comes to the XM coming out and I want the best quality signal for my TV to use and audio is important too, I don't want the audio to be terrible and it look good.

Thanks

The A/V mods only affect how the audio and video are output after they've gotten through the rest of the chain of circuits so they won't be affected by the XM. Knowing how talented the guys are that are making this thing they're probably already testing the XM on A/V modded 7800s due to ease of use.

There are some mods that do not work for those games?

Yes, the Best Electronics one, but there is a simple fix, just one wire to add.

The Best Electronics mod is ok, not the best by a long shot. As with all these mods they look good - great on CRT, but hit and miss on LCD/Plasma.

Well I plan on using it on a plasma, so if not the best electronics mod, which one should I do for the 7800. I will also use it on a CRT, but the main reason for the mod is so I can use it on the 50" plasma I have.

Unfortunately that is not an easy question to answer as the picture quality very much depends on the decoding done by the tv. I have LG,Samsung,leowe Sony,Sharp and a non branded lcd/plasma tv at my disposal, and the best tv for Atari u have found is the cheap unbounded lcd. The other tvs vary from a fuzzy picture, wrong colours,no colour no picture. All using the same moded 7800.

Personally I have the best electronics mod,an 8bit domain mod and a v1 longhorn engineer mod. Out of the 3 I would say that the lhe mod is the better of the 3

I also have an rgb 7800 and the results on lcd tv are similar to the moded consoles

• Like 1

So it sounds like no matter what MOD you get for you 7800 you might have a nice picture or.... not great picture. I use a CRT mostly, but it's only 19" so I liked the idea of using my 50" Samsung Plasma. Might just have to get one and see what it looks like. On the CRT the antenna input is fine, but not sure about what the plasma would look like.