IGNORED

My USA Sonic the Hedgehog SMS with UPC sticker on ebay

wallydawg

Hi everybody, I could have sworn I posted this here when I started the auction but I couldn't seem to find it when I went to bump it, so I'll post it now. just in case anyone here is an SMS collector, I have my USA sonic the hedgehog with UPC sticker up for auction on eBay. It ends tomorrow night and I stated on the auction that I'd only ship to the US, but I will make an exception for any users here (but only to Canada).

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2609085264681?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=260908526468&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Thanks for looking.

Pardon my ignorance, I dont collect for SMS, but what is so special about this version that makes it worth $1k? I've seen plenty of Sonics sell in the US for only a couple of dollars....

Oh no...

As I said, pardon my ignorance

Im not passionate about collecting sms games so this isn't really me talking about its worth... but in a short reason why its so rare, is its a pal game that was barcoded for american sale... its extremely rare... there's more to it then that and im sure you're gonna get a more detailed answer in a sec... I said oh no cuz I see a intense argument about to start....

....let's watch...

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I dont think there can be too much argument about what its worth - Its clearly worth $981 :-D

I suppose the arguments are likely to be the same as those that used to happen about Air Raid? - i.e Is it PAL or NTSC, Is it a Nth American release or not, Should it be considered a "retail" release, etc.

Thanks for the info. I dont think there can be too much argument about what its worth - Its clearly worth $981

I suppose the arguments are likely to be the same as those that used to happen about Air Raid? - i.e Is it PAL or NTSC, Is it a Nth American release or not, Should it be considered a "retail" release, etc.

This might be worse because all that gives this sms game its value is just a barcode sticker slapped on the back... NOT SAYING THAT ITS RIDICULOUS OR ANYTHING, I AM IMPARTIAL ON THIS SUBJECT... im just a little hardware collector I don't want to interfere with software collector's dealings....

Yeah I think this was the last SMS release in the US. Since it was so late in the lifespan they just put the UPC sticker on the case over the PAL upc code instead of making an entire production of new games. Any of them that didn't sell they probably shipped them off somewhere to another region in did the same thing. Couple that with the possibility that anyone that did buy game here in the US might have just thrown the box or, or even peeled off the sticker (its kind of unsightly just attached to the back of the clear plastic part of the case). The buyer had been looking for it for a long time (I heard that the last legitimate one for sale was in may 09) and it was the last game he needed to complete his SMS collection.

Let's just say I was pleasantly surprised at the final outcome of the auction. :)

Yeah I think this was the last SMS release in the US. Since it was so late in the lifespan they just put the UPC sticker on the case over the PAL upc code instead of making an entire production of new games. Any of them that didn't sell they probably shipped them off somewhere to another region in did the same thing. Couple that with the possibility that anyone that did buy game here in the US might have just thrown the box or, or even peeled off the sticker (its kind of unsightly just attached to the back of the clear plastic part of the case). The buyer had been looking for it for a long time (I heard that the last legitimate one for sale was in may 09) and it was the last game he needed to complete his SMS collection.

Let's just say I was pleasantly surprised at the final outcome of the auction. :)

That's all very interesting stuff. When you say "legitimate", how can someone be sure that a seller didn't peel off a sticker from another title and paste it on a regular PAL copy??

(I'm not insinuating that you did this by the way)

There was one like that for auction in august. The seller took the sticker from spiderman and altered it in some way (I think it says Marvel somewhere on that one and he just cut it off). For mine I just entered the UPC in Google (which results came up as the item I had) and asked around a couple places and it seemed to be legitimate. Obviously there is no way to tell for sure unless you are the original owner and bought it from the store, but it wouldn't make much sense either to fake a bar code just to trade it for a couple bucks at a record store either.

You can't alter Spider-Man, because it has clear printing on it, so only cutting it would do it. However, there is still fierce debate about this game. Some people in the SMS community, like me, consider it an import, nothing more, because that's what it is. Some still consider it a legit release, but it's way too risky now. Knowledge of it is out there, and it's incredibly easy to get a thermal UPC made from the original design. There's no way to tell, otherwise it's completely the same release.