IGNORED

Problem with 2600 Adapter

wongojack

This was part of another thread of mine, but its really a separate topic, so I'll give it its own thread.

I recently picked up a 2600 adapter that doesn't seem to work right. I have a 2 port 5200 so it should be compatable right? When I put it in with a game, I get various distorted images - Superman for instance just gives me about 6 solid red verticle bars about an inch in width. Megamania gave me thin wavy diagonal lines and Combat gave me a complete black screen.

Does anyone know what behavior you get if you try to use the adapter in a non-compatable 5200? Is it similar to what I'm seeing? Turning it on with no game shows a lot of mixed up colored garbage -seems like it was mostly blue and yellow.

I was surprised that you could insert the adapter oriented multiple ways - hopefully there is no harm to doing that because I tried it :)

I cleaned everything involved with 99% alcohol so I think the contacts are clear. I'm thinking I might have some weird incompatability or just a regular ole broken 2600 problem.

Any help is appreciated.

It sounds like it's busted :(

If it's a 2 port system, it's compatible. 4 port systems are incompatible, unless they have been modified (Atari used to do this for you). Alternatively, some 5200 4 port systems were sold that are compatible. They have an * Asterick on the serial number.

What do you mean you can insert the adapter oriented in multiple ways? It should only go in one way, and that's with the silver switches facing the front (controller port side).

The adapter is essentially a 2600, without the RF modulator. When inserted into the 5200, it doesn't use any of the 5200 processing power--it just passes everything off to the video RF modulator and pulls power from the 5200.

If you are serious about getting the adapter working, you should be able to rob some parts out of a working 2600 and swap them out, such as the processor, etc.

It sounds like it's busted :(

What do you mean you can insert the adapter oriented in multiple ways? It should only go in one way, and that's with the silver switches facing the front (controller port side).

If you are serious about getting the adapter working, you should be able to rob some parts out of a working 2600 and swap them out, such as the processor, etc.

Thanks for the responses.

The adapter does fit into the cartridge port with the switches facing away. It just does. The behavoir of both the 5200 and the adapter was the same after I attempted to run it oriented "backwards"

I figured I was just dealing with a busted 2600 in there. I'll try to do some more troubleshooting.

• 1 year later...

Coming back to this, and I finally took the adapter apart. It has been repaired as some of the cart wires have been damaged and re-wired manually. Inside there are metal plates held on with bendable clips and it seems the back plate was bent and touching some of the circuit board contacts. Removing it revealed the repair and allowed the adapter to work. Open and out of the case, I can get the adapter to work. Only paid like $5 for it so not really a big deal. I've yet to put it back in the case to see if a I can just bend the backplate and make it work.

The quality is still kinda bad. Lines and some slight visual distortion, dunno if that normal but with the repair job, I'm assuming its my adapter.

I didn't take pictures - oops. Part of getting it to work was putting it carefully back together and when I confirmed it would work I was hesitant to take it apart. It'll probably break again and I'll have to pull it open soon.

I think the problem is with the foil on the switches acting as (I guess) the ground wire. It tapes to a metal housing which then clips to a backplate. I think it grounds into the board and the connection just kinda slips or something. I considered just connecting it to some other ground to something else, but didn't have the patience to go through the testing.