IGNORED

Krytol's Custom Combat Cart

Krytol

Looks great. I like the small box size. Funny how most of what you get in a normal cart box is air.  

I know they do this because the customer feels like he is getting more. Silly marketing people.

I guess the bigger boxes were harder to shoplift. :ponder:

Looks great. I like the small box size. Funny how most of what you get in a normal cart box is air.  

I know they do this because the customer feels like he is getting more. Silly marketing people.

I guess the bigger boxes were harder to shoplift. :ponder:

Toys R Us (Where I always bought my 2600 games) You had to always pull a ticket and they had the Atari games behind the window in the front. And other places to buy games always had the games behind plexiglass :-)

Toys R Us (Where I always bought my 2600 games) You had to always pull a ticket and they had the Atari games behind the window in the front.  And other places to buy games always had the games behind plexiglass :-)

yeah that was the classic distribution method, I think they stopped doing that a decade ago. But a lot of us will remember getting Asteroids and waiting for the magician to get it for us behind the glass :D

Cool Combat artwork, those smaller boxes are pretty standard in PC games sold at Target, Walmart, etc. Seems like a good idea and might encourage more lay people to keep their boxes before dumping them in the thrifts :), I know most Saturn games are complete out there because of the case.

yeah that was the classic distribution method, I think they stopped doing that a decade ago.  

Actually, I bought Defender for the GBA at Toys R Us today and the "take the ticket, pay, and wait for surly customer service dude to find it in back" procedure is very much still the way things are.

I love that Combat artwork. Very stylish and altogether different from the standard videogame art thing. I've been thinking about making some boxes for a few of my loose carts (like my comps of SI:A and PM:A) as a design exercise but I've been thinking about a lot of things....

Rob

I love that Combat artwork. Very stylish and altogether different from the standard videogame art thing. I've been thinking about making some boxes for a few of my loose carts (like my comps of SI:A and PM:A) as a design exercise but I've been thinking about a lot of things....  

Don't feel bad. I've probably been thinking/dreaming about this for about four months. I finally had a weekend to do it.

Don't feel bad.  I've probably been thinking/dreaming about this for about four months.  I finally had a weekend to do it.

Someone needs to revive the Atari Cart Art Club. Dan was telling me about it last week. I think it started with a post on RGVC about how boring all the hundreds of text label commons were and how people ought to do something better with them. He gave me a really nice one for Bowling that says "Bowl-O-Rama" and instead of putting it on that cart I'm thinking I should ask around to see if anybody can burn the Jr. Pac-Man hack to a cart for me and then put it on THAT. :D

Actually, I bought Defender for the GBA at Toys R Us today and the "take the ticket, pay, and wait for surly customer service dude to find it in back" procedure is very much still the way things are.

I remember those days also. Our Toys R Us' created a special video game section that they call the R Zone. I remember them making a bid deal about because now the games are on the shelves. They think being able to hold the game before you buy will entice more people into purchasing from them. I think making their prices a little more competitive would help but they haven't tried that strategy yet.

Now that you mention it, we have two Toys R Uses here and the ickier, more urban of the two has moved to this "R Zone" thing, with the airport-like security and all. It seems to have less of a selection and things tend to get into disarray really quickly, especially at xmas, so I never go to that one.

The one I do go to is not arranged significantly differently than it was in 1990, except instead of NES/Genesis/Gameboy/Gamegear with random old Atari, INTV and SMS stuff strewn about it's PS2/GC/XBOX/GBA with random Dreamcast/N64/PS1/GBC/SNES/Genesis stuff strewn about. ;) And instead of the C128D's and Nomad's behind the glass they have the above consoles and a whole bunch of little portable screens for them. But it's still a comfort to shop there. I'd sooner go to EB, Babbages, Game Stop et al. (or really, even Target or Wal-Mart's game section) than that "R-Zone" thing.

Rob

I remember those days also. Our Toys R Us' created a special video game section that they call the R Zone. I remember them making a bid deal about because now the games are on the shelves. They think being able to hold the game before you buy will entice more people into purchasing from them. I think making their prices a little more competitive would help but they haven't tried that strategy yet.

I hate the way the way the games shelves in the R Zone work. They are "spring loaded" and push the games to the front of the rack with considerable force. What I don't like is taking a game out to look at the info on the back, and then trying to put it back on the shelf, only to be thwarted by the spring not wanting to push back! At that point, I just say piss on it and lay it on top of the rack.

:sad: Another annoying thing about the R Zone is the bin of SNES and Genesis games they have. There were some good titles, but marked up to something insane like $20 or more. I was waiting for them to clearance them for a loooong time. Finally one day the whole @#&%$ bin just disappeared. :x

But back on topic, WAY COOL LABEL AND BOX!!!! 8)

We have a Toys R Us with the R Zone by us too but the most obscene videogame display I've ever seen is at the "new look" Wiz by me. They took the video game section and put it into a corner of the store where they then put up a chain link fence with barb wire and red siren lights all around it. There is are security cameras galore in that section as well.

At the same time, they have nothing like that around their music section. The security cameras are there, but less obtrusive. The gestapo corner is an obviose marketing ploy and security measure. I refuse to go into either of those stores anymore because of their gestapo-like approach to selling.

:sad: Another annoying thing about the R Zone is the bin of SNES and Genesis games they have.  There were some good titles, but marked up to something insane like $20 or more.  I was waiting for them to clearance them for a loooong time.  Finally one day the whole @#&%$ bin just disappeared.   :x

If you're talking about the one on 76th and Dodge right by the OCB, put down a few :x :x :x for me too. I have the same gripes, plus another:

One week this year, I went in the R-Zone there and they had a wall of N64 games which were all unsold - probably due to the excessively high prices considering they were for a dead system (Paper Mario for $50, Perfect Dark for $40, et cetera). I figured once they wised up they'd dump all of them in a clearance bin akin to the SNES/Gen/GG one. I came back no more than a few short days later and they were ALL GONE. I asked a clerk where they were and she acted like she didn't even know what I was talking about. "N64?" That made me even more pissy. She's trying to make me feel like an idiot and I'm standing there saying, "There was a whole wall of them! Right here! Right where you put this other crap! They didn't all vanish into thin air! You either took them to storage in the back or shipped them somewhere else! NIN-TEN-DO SIX-TY-FOUR." Needless to say she "checked" the back and didn't find anything, probably because she either didn't know what to look for or did NOT really want to look and just left for appearances to appease me. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR. :x

Well, on the "dead system clearance" topic, I've noticed that occasionally in the second tier discount stores (Mr. 2nd, Grossman's Bargain Outlet, Big/Job/Odd Lots, Family Dollar, etc., the places just above dollar stores and just below K-Mart) they'll get in a slew of early 90's games (usually Genesis and Game Gear, but I've seen SNES, Saturn and even Lynx occasionally) which leads me to believe that the mainstream retail outlets are selling off their unsold inventory to whomever is the distributor for these closeout stores.

They're never advertised or anything, they just occasionally show up. I picked up Woody Pop for my Game Gear for 4 bucks a couple years ago that way. Sometimes they'll even get re-wrapped used NES games.

No 2600 stuff yet, but I'm sure some JAKKS Pacific product will end up there sooner or later ;) Though come to think of it, those 3D remakes of classic games from 5 or 6 years ago (the first ones... Frogger, Asteroids, Pong et al.) are staples of their PC software clearance sections, both the official ones and the "supermarketware" knockoffs that install spyware on your computer. I think I've seen the first Activision PC collection there.

Okay, this is pretty far offtopic now, I apologize.

Rob