IGNORED

Just bought a 7800 -- Harmony and XM

smagnotta

Hi all,

I just purchased a 7800 with an "Expansion Port". I was wondering what all is available for the 7800 as far as 3rd party hardware? I see the XM module is almost done (fits directly into the cartridge slot). Will there be some type of Harmony for the 7800? I know one exists for the 2600 and that one works on the 7800, from what I read (only 2600 games though). I guess the Harmony 2 will allow both 7800 and 2600 games like the discontinued CuttleCart 2? Will the Harmony 2 see the light of day, or is it just in a prototype stage at this point?

I saw the CuttleCart 1 and 2 are both discontinued.

I was wondering about the "Expansion Port" -- was anything ever made for it (including 3rd party) ?

I also have the Atari 800, 800XL, 65 XE and 130 XE as part of this collection (I was an 80s nerd). I found that this 7800 lacks the great sound from the old 800 released in 1979. I am wondering why Atari didn't use the 2600 and the 5200 hardware for the 7800? In other words, continue the great graphics and sound from the 5200 and be backward compatible with the 2600. Centipede on the 5200 is the best home port ever made. Centipede on the 7800 is not as good. I actually play converted 5200 games on my 800. I guess the XM module will transform the 7800 into what it should have been in the first place.

Will the XM module affect the older released 7800 titles in any way -- improve them somehow?

I was wondering what all is available for the 7800 as far as 3rd party hardware? I see the XM module is almost done (fits directly into the cartridge slot). Will there be some type of Harmony for the 7800? I know one exists for the 2600 and that one works on the 7800, from what I read (only 2600 games though). I guess the Harmony 2 will allow both 7800 and 2600 games like the discontinued CuttleCart 2? Will the Harmony 2 see the light of day, or is it just in a prototype stage at this point?

As far as third-party stuff there isn't much. Best Electronics sells a light gun for the 7800 and a few companies made controllers for the 7800 but that's about it. The H2, AFAIK, is still in development and may come out sometime next year.

I was wondering about the "Expansion Port" -- was anything ever made for it (including 3rd party) ?

Nope.

I also have the Atari 800, 800XL, 65 XE and 130 XE as part of this collection (I was an 80s nerd). I found that this 7800 lacks the great sound from the old 800 released in 1979. I am wondering why Atari didn't use the 2600 and the 5200 hardware for the 7800?

The 7800 uses the TIA for audio just like the 2600, but there wasn't enough space for the POKEY (the sound chip used in the 5200 and 8-bits) on the motherboard. General Computer (the company which designed the 7800) included an external audio line on the cartridge port for better audio however. Ballblazer and Commando are the only two officially released games that include an audio chip (the POKEY), and there a couple of homebrews that have the POKEY onboard. Obviously the XM rectifies this by including both a POKEY and a Yamaha YM2151 FM synthesizer chip for greater audio capabilities.

Will the XM module affect the older released 7800 titles in any way -- improve them somehow?

Early games like Ms. Pac-Man and Galaga include support for the High Score Cart which was never released by Atari. The XM includes HSC support so you'll be able to save your high scores for those early games. Most homebrews have HSC support as well.

Thanks for your reply / all the answers. I know the XM will come out next year. Curt is the one who is responsible for the FlashBack systems, right? I actually won one in the FaceBook Pepsi Throwback Atari challenge. I got high score on Yar's Revenge, 1981, Atari 2600. It's a "2 Plus" system - the one you can make into a real 2600 with some mods, although I would just purchase a real 2600.

... and be backward compatible with the 2600

Considering the 7800 is largely backwards compatible with the 2600, I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean why didn't Atari build a 5200 with 2600 compatibility built-in as opposed to having to use the 5200's 2600 adapter? Do I make sense? :)

... and be backward compatible with the 2600

Considering the 7800 is largely backwards compatible with the 2600, I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean why didn't Atari build a 5200 with 2600 compatibility built-in as opposed to having to use the 5200's 2600 adapter? Do I make sense? :)

I think he means, will the Harmony 2 support Atari 2600 roms in addition to Atari 7800 roms. It should I would guess.

"... and be backward compatible with the 2600"

What I meant was that Atari (GCC) should have included the POKEY chip for sound in the 7800 as was done in the 5200/8 bit computers. I did not know this earlier but there is an expansion adapter for the 5200 that enables 2600 game play. What's nice about the 7800 is that it allows many objects to be on the screen at one time without flicker. That's an improvement over the older 8 bit computers like the Atari 800.

Yes, the Harmony 2 will be able to play both 2600 and 7800 games.

• Like 1