IGNORED

Sega CD model 2 battery upgrade

In theory: a soldering iron, solder, tweezers, X-acto knife, solder sucker or wick and an appropriately sized battery holder. Perhaps a hot glue gun would be a good idea as well.

According to this video it uses a 2016 coin cell.

http://www.keyelco.c...pecs/spec07.asp

http://www.mouser.co...1yzu400Z1z0wd8p

Edited by yell0w_lantern

He is re-using the battery clip and not resoldering. But you'll notice that the Mouser link was to battery holders - two of which look to be pretty good for your purposes. Of course, I've never looked into whether there are rechargeable 2016s or not.

Even if there aren't, you can find a rechargeable cell the same voltage that is and just solder in a different connector as long as it fits the Sega CD case.

[EDIT]

Hmm... 3v .... that takes out many of your typical lithium rechargeables like 14500s and 18650s unless you use something to regulate it.... need protected cells too.

Maybe 2 NiZn AA cells at 1.6v each? Not sure how much the hardware can take. Plus you'll want to control your current as the coin cell is low drain at 0.1mA and is rated at 90mAh.

Being a novice myself, I wouldn't mess around too much. I think your best just putting in a clip-style cell holder and using the 2016s.

He is re-using the battery clip and not resoldering. But you'll notice that the Mouser link was to battery holders - two of which look to be pretty good for your purposes. Of course, I've never looked into whether there are rechargeable 2016s or not.

Even if there aren't, you can find a rechargeable cell the same voltage that is and just solder in a different connector as long as it fits the Sega CD case.

[EDIT]

Hmm... 3v .... that takes out many of your typical lithium rechargeables like 14500s and 18650s unless you use something to regulate it.... need protected cells too.

Maybe 2 NiZn AA cells at 1.6v each? Not sure how much the hardware can take. Plus you'll want to control your current as the coin cell is low drain at 0.1mA and is rated at 90mAh.

Being a novice myself, I wouldn't mess around too much. I think your best just putting in a clip-style cell holder and using the 2016s.

Perhaps......... I wonder how long a standard non-rechargeable 2016 would last before failing again?

• 5 months later...

Hi all, I know this topic is a little old but since I have three of these things I thought I'd ask a couple of questions. I saw a youtube video where a guy used 2 regular AA batteries to replace the button cell. Isn't that dangerous if the Sega is going to try and charge whatever is connected to it?

Also, my third unit is a cdx. Does it use the same battery based backup scenerio? Anyone tried something like this for a cdx?