IGNORED

Why I love the 5200

SINGLE TOOTH

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a fascination for this console as well. Even though it's huge, there is something about it that makes me want to play it a lot and track down some of the arcade based games for it.

I only have about 5 games so far and it's packed away with a lot of other things that I can't get too right now.

Part of what I like about it most is the unusual way that it has to be setup and how it took me several months to track down all of the parts I needed to get it working but, did eventually find them and figured out what goes where.

I like that the controllers can be store inside of the console too.

5200 is excellent for fans of 80's arcade games. I just wish the library was larger.

Agreed.. so much potential lost. Especially with all the prototypes eventually resurfacing (Super Pac/Jr Pac, Stargate, Millipede, Xevious, Tempest, Blaster, etc.) and it makes you wonder how you would have received them had they been available in completed form back then. But at the very least we have the expansive 400/800 library to give you a glimpse of what may have been possible.

Said it many times but 5200 is still my favorite console.. but it's fascination with me lies in the fact that as a kid I could never play so many of the games I wanted to play since the "start" button on all my controllers were broken. It's hard to sit there wanting to play Joust and OWNING it, but only being able to stare at the attract screen. :lol: :(

5200 is excellent for fans of 80's arcade games. I just wish the library was larger.

Agreed.. so much potential lost. Especially with all the prototypes eventually resurfacing (Super Pac/Jr Pac, Stargate, Millipede, Xevious, Tempest, Blaster, etc.) and it makes you wonder how you would have received them had they been available in completed form back then. But at the very least we have the expansive 400/800 library to give you a glimpse of what may have been possible.

Said it many times but 5200 is still my favorite console.. but it's fascination with me lies in the fact that as a kid I could never play so many of the games I wanted to play since the "start" button on all my controllers were broken. It's hard to sit there wanting to play Joust and OWNING it, but only being able to stare at the attract screen. :lol: :(

That's really pathetic, man. :lolblue: :P

• 3 weeks later...

My reasons:

Centipede. Beats the 7800 version.

Berzerk. It talks, and is 97% arcade version! My favorite still.

Qix. Su-PERB!

Pengo. Would Burgess Meredith have liked this one?

Gyruss.

Miner 2049er.

Space Dungeon.

Super Breakout- but only if with paddle controlers.

Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man. Although no match for Opcode's CV versions, these are still so nifty.

Baseball.

It's also easier making custom controllers for it, as long as you can get the parts.

• Like 1

My reasons:

Centipede. Beats the 7800 version.

Berzerk. It talks, and is 97% arcade version! My favorite still.

Qix. Su-PERB!

Pengo. Would Burgess Meredith have liked this one?

Gyruss.

Miner 2049er.

Space Dungeon.

Super Breakout- but only if with paddle controlers.

Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man. Although no match for Opcode's CV versions, these are still so nifty.

Baseball.

It's also easier making custom controllers for it, as long as you can get the parts.

i love the way pacman and ms pacman are "deformed" to fit the tv on the 5200 ,

unlike the arcade-like screens on the CV

• Like 1

Loved it when it first came out and love it to this day. It was like magic when it first came out and I got one. Plus IMHO it's so cool looking! And love the games, too many to name a fav. But still love Berzerk, Real Sports Baseball, Miner 2049'er, H.E.R.O.,and many more. Still way cool! And with my Atarimax 128 In 1 Flash Card I'm in heaven again!

How could I have left out Star Raiders, Defender, and Robotron: 2084? The ability to stand still and fire with one controller, the explosions, and the sound are advantages over the 7800 version (which is really good).

With digital controllers, the games were 100% better.

I will maintain to my last day that Atari should not have dumped it in 1984. It was an incredibly stupid move, and for once something that could not be blamed on the Tramiels.

Even so, when he swept the old Atari stuff off of that table, I wish a 5200 had landed with its corner on his foot...

How could I have left out Star Raiders, Defender, and Robotron: 2084? The ability to stand still and fire with one controller, the explosions, and the sound are advantages over the 7800 version (which is really good).

FYI, the 7800 also allows you to play Robotron with either one or two controllers.

Mitch

FYI, the 7800 also allows you to play Robotron with either one or two controllers.

Mitch

Is there a coupler for the 7800 sticks? Id love to try...7800 Robotron is almost unplayable with on stick, or trying to manipulate two...

Mitch

Is there a coupler for the 7800 sticks? Id love to try...7800 Robotron is almost unplayable with on stick, or trying to manipulate two...

well you could use the spyhunter 2600 one or duct tape two prolines together. rt2084 rules on 7800 with the dual controllers.

Edited by Jinks

Mitch

The A8 version of robotron came with a coupler for the original 2600 joysticks. Since you don't need the second 7800 fire button these work fine for the 7800 version of robotron as well.

Mitch

I've never had a problem using a couple of Wico's to play Robotron on the 7800/XL. I don't needs no fancy ass duct tape solution :P

i can hold 2 tac-2s down and play like that.

Just saying duct tape for those that have probs. duct tape and fancy should never be in the same sentence unless your name is red-green.."if it ain't broke your not tryin"

post-1274-0-83746800-1325748354_thumb.jpg

Yep, that's about right... holding a flashlight that's turned off is about the equivalent of trying to play Pac-Man on the 5200 with its analog controllers. :rolling:

J/K... great pics and thanks for sharing! :)

BTW: what's Greasystache an acronym for in WI? Milwaukee, Janesville, Baraboo, The Dells or Beloit by chance? lol

I've never had a problem using a couple of Wico's to play Robotron on the 7800/XL. I don't needs no fancy ass duct tape solution :P

Just saying duct tape for those that have probs. duct tape and fancy should never be in the same sentence unless your name is red-green.."if it ain't broke your not tryin"

You've obviously never seen my duct tape origami.

You've obviously never seen my duct tape origami.

Lets not be ripping on the solution to all of man's problems: Duck Tape. *

* "I don't know what part of the duck it's made from ... but it's handy"

post-37-0-44486700-1334930073_thumb.jpg

Mitch

7800 Robotron is BADASS on a hacked Wii using the classic controller.