IGNORED

any reason to have both XEGS and 800XL

Dantaipan

Nope. Both are 100% compatible with each other, have the same amount of memory, etc. Just keep the one you think is more stylish, or the one that matches what ever perephrials you have or are getting (e.g., 1050 disk drive matches the 800XL, XF551 drive matches the XE, but both work with either system. All 8-bit periphrials from any Atari 8-bit work with all Atari 8-bits, but they match the computer that they were made to go with asthetically). Unless your a collector...I have the 800, 800XL and 130XE and plan on getting a 1200XL, because I want to collect all the Atari computers.

The 800XL has an expansion port that the XEGS doesn't have.

The XEGS has a game built in that the 800XL doesn't have. Oh, and that detachable keyboard feature.

Other than that everything else is the same and/or exchangable.

I also have both. In fact, I recently picked up most of another XEGS. I've got a complete, boxed XEGS, which includes a lightgun, so I'd never get rid of it and the 800XL has that expansion port so I'd never get rid of it either.

• 3 weeks later...

the xegs's keyboard port works with stadard pc game port extension cables (which is how I have mine connected,) and allows for a nice detached keyboard with a comfortable length. The xegs is my 8 bit of choice. shame about the pastel buttons tho, and only 2 ports :-( but the a/v quality is a bit better, too.