IGNORED

Ultimate1MB - new preorder

candle

Seeing that the majority of problems (at least so far) lays with the 800XL installations one can not help but think that there are differences in between the two enough to make some 800XL installations to fail.

It works perfect in my 800XL. You can not build a theory on one single case right? I know someone (Fox-1 knows this guy too hehe) who tried ONE harddisk once on his parity-upgraded blackbox... yes he tried ONE harddisk with parity... and then he stated: this upgrade works with 99.9% of all harddisks. Hmmm.

When you scroll back in this thread you will find my respond to your problem. Your Atari 800XL seems to have an issue. An issue that does not occur in a stock state, but it does occur when you are going to upgrade this one. Like I wrote in the message where I declared to have over 100 of these atari 8bit machines... I have these two, and I put a sticker on the bottom: do not expand this one! From all machines I think I have two or three of these.

There are a few components who can do 'funny' things. I once fixed a mysteriously failing machine by replacing the 74LS08!

Even all these TTL chips, used from different brands or even used from different batches... they all work within a certain range of 'specs' ... but together it is still (sometimes) a miracle that the atari works so good.

The most important thing to understand is, that you can NOT compare a siobased peripheral (like your sio2pc interface or whatever thing that is hooked up to the SIO bus) with something that is connected to the PBI, cartridge port, or an upgrade like U1MB. Why? Because those things are litterly connected directly to the same lines as where most of the components of the Atari connected to. Things connected to the sio bus aren't (this makes sense, since this is a SERIAL bus, and not a PARALLEL bus!)

In one of your first reports you already mentioned that the problem suddenly appeared while using a cart. And here we go again: that is another 'thing' that hooks up (almost) directly to address/data and control lines in the atari. Although the atari is designed this way, and it usually 'always' works... it is really not so strange that in a already 'suspicious'/'weak' atari, the issues get worse when you hook up a cartridge.

My conclusion about your problem has nothing to do with your skills, or used components. My conclusion was, and still is, that there is a not yet discovered problem with your atari 800xl. And yes: you (and I!) do not have the tools to investigate that. I'm in the (lucky) circumstance that I have zillions of components to swap. And yes, I have done this so many times, that I can do this without hurting anything. Even in the worst XE. (And yes: I started doing this almost 20 years ago, and YES in those years I ruined a lot of equipment)

So please try to focus again on the facts.

And enjoy your ultimate 1MB. As far as I see this ... the atari hobby is fun right?

• Like 1

I installed one into a 800xl last week with not problems, and installed another into a 130xe this week, with only a little mild cursing. I sure would like to update the OS rom with the ones that I use. And the SDX rom so I could personalize the 'config.sys'.

DITTO: @Marius1976 for this statement

And enjoy your ultimate 1MB. As far as I see this ... the atari hobby is fun right?

Has anyone used the adaptor? I have both for my 800XL but haven't found the time to install. But the Adaptor sounds like it should solve the 800xl issues?

http://www.atariage....-adapter-board/

Or am I missing something (again ;) )

Hey Chris, according to others including Candle U1MB should not have any problems with 800XL. I was unable to get mine to work with it though for not so clear reasons (to me). It simply refused to be stable with my 800XL. The issues i had were nothing that can be solved with Dropcheck's adaptor. So I decided to put it into my 130XE and the install was smooth as ice cream. Still puzzled as to why it didn't work in the 800XL but others report that their installs worked, so in all likelihood yours will be fine too.

Anyway, I used the board just a bit mainly to test my installation and it seems to work fine as intended, however in the coming days I'll be using it more regularly in a development environment so will have a better idea.

That adaptor makes it easier for you to install U1MB and already includes resistors that you need to either solder to the Atari mobo or embed them into the MMU Cable. So if your 800XLs are fully socketed all you need to do is to solder 4 wires to the Xl mobo and use Dropchecks adator to connect the U1MB, otherwise you will need to desolder MMU and OS ROM, put sockets in place for the U1MB to connect to, in this case Dropcheck's board still is useful but most work will be with desoldering and soldering the sockets anyway (which I had to do with both machines)

Edited by atari8warez

I used the adapter board in my 800xl install, I had no issues. The adapter board eliminates cutting the traces to add in the resistors. Others have added the resistors into the ribbon cable as another way around it.

I did not want to mess with the 130xe and its finicky traces, I sent mine to sloopy for a VBXE / U1mb Install.

Robert

Edited by venom4728a

Did an install in an XEGS, took a bunch of pics for a proper install guide, but here's the real important one for now.... Where to solder the 4 wires.

I picked right off Freddie and Sally. I don't normally like soldering right to chip legs, but it was too convenient to pass up. :grin:

post-7524-0-00838500-1343269211_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Oh one serious tip about desoldering. If you really want to save your pcb and you do not have the money for a professional desolder station....

Do not try to save the part you have to remove.

First cut as delicate as possible with the right tools al pins. Then remove part. Then remove pins from pcb by using solder iron and a flat screwdriver or better: magnetic flat screwdriver.

At last desolder the wholes. I use a heated desolder pump which is very cheap.

I never kill a pcb anymore since I work this way.

Oh one more thing:

If you can not get the last step done, first SOLDER again the part you want to desolder.

Good luck!

You don't need to destroy ICs in the desoldering process.

Why people recommend clipping pins off is beyond me. It's mega easy to remove a soldered in DIP without damaging it or the board. The trickiest part is when a pin goes into a thick ground or power plane, but you just leave those for last and use a slightly different method (lever IC up whilst applying heat).

@rybags

The advice is for the less skilled people. When your priority is in saving the pcb it really is preferred to cut pins first. It happens quit a lot that one or two pins refuse to come of the board while saving the ic. The chance is big that you damage the board then.

If you have better tools and better skills it might be a different story.

@rybags

The advice is for the less skilled people. When your priority is in saving the pcb it really is preferred to cut pins first. It happens quit a lot that one or two pins refuse to come of the board while saving the ic. The chance is big that you damage the board then.

If you have better tools and better skills it might be a different story.

This is the method I recommend for replacing MT RAM chips in a 130XE as well, I don't think it's worth the effort to try to identify/save any that may still be good and it reduces the risk of damage to the circuit board.

You don't need to destroy ICs in the desoldering process.

Why people recommend clipping pins off is beyond me. It's mega easy to remove a soldered in DIP without damaging it or the board. The trickiest part is when a pin goes into a thick ground or power plane, but you just leave those for last and use a slightly different method (lever IC up whilst applying heat).

One reason that comes to mind is speed. Much faster to remove cut pins and easier to clean the holes from solder (depending on what desoldering tools one has). As a person who only uses braid for desoldering, I would definitly go the clipping way if I am removing a dead IC for example. If the IC is salvagable and needed that's a different story of course.

Edited by atari8warez

Oh one serious tip about desoldering. If you really want to save your pcb and you do not have the money for a professional desolder station....

Do not try to save the part you have to remove.

Is that really helpful advice in a thread about a product that requires you to reuse the chips you desolder?

Edited by Eyvind Bernhardsen