IGNORED

Xevious myth

jeremiahjt

It seems like it is accepted that you have to fire both weapons at the same time in 7800 Xevious even though that is not true. Now I understand one of the big reasons is that people play the 7800 with a Genesis controller and the 7800 treats it as a one button controller. Recently I found a review on allgame.com that lists this as the main negative to the game. I emailed them, but they never changed it. I also found a video review that said the same thing, but the reviewer did respond to me in the comments. I cannot remember what the website is now though. I just wish people would put a little more effort into their reviews and find out all of the facts. And if you are going to review a 7800 game then use a 7800 controller.

And preferably, use the gamepad instead of those horrid joysticks.

The 7800 Europads are as bad as, if not worse than the Prolines. They have too much travel for a silicone button gamepad, especially the buttons. and the d-pad is terribly designed and has a tendency to get stuck in on direction because the pad gets wedged under the casing.

give me the prolines any day.

As a kid I didn't read the manual so I never knew the game could use both buttons until I found this website. What's funny is back in the day when our cousins came to visit they played Xevious. One of them was a big fan of the game and loved this port.........except for the fact that it wasn't mapped to both buttons. :lol:

I generally use a SMS controller when I play the Atari 7800, but there are times I will use the proline joystick when playing Xevious... having separate bomb and shot is crucial in finding the hidden bonuses... sometimes however, I revert to my trusty ol' SMS pad for reasons of comfort… personally, I only wished that shot was set to the right button and bomb on the left button… I handle the stick with my left hand and for rapid fire, I have to use my finger and this is where discomfort comes in for me :( I am better to rapid fire with my thumb, and it is not necessary to rapid press the bomb button!

Recently I found a review on allgame.com that lists this as the main negative to the game. I emailed them, but they never changed it. I also found a video review that said the same thing, but the reviewer did respond to me in the comments. I cannot remember what the website is now though. I just wish people would put a little more effort into their reviews and find out all of the facts. And if you are going to review a 7800 game then use a 7800 controller.

I agree! I've seen so many reviews (esp. video reviews) where the reviewer obviously hasn't read the instruction manual or doesn't know the system, is missing something key to game play, and then gives it a bad review because he doesn't know how to play the game.

If you're going to review a game, at least learn how to play the game. And, as you point out, it's even more important that the reviewer understand the console the game's being played on.

There was no excuse for such reviews back-in-the-day since the instruction manual clearly mentioned the difficulty switch toggle for 2-button action. I could understand the confusion today when most people who came across a 7800 cart would probably find it loose w/o the manual or box, but there's always doing some easy research on the 'net to clear up the confusion.

I usually prefer a joystick, but the Prolines are awful. What's the very best two-button 7800 solution? I like the Europads mostly, but they totally suck for maze games (Ms. Pac Man and Pac-Man Collection obviously) and can be bad for some other kinds of games.

Games that don't use buttons (like Ms. Pac Man) are just fine on the Pro-Lines imho. I like the gamepad for everything else though.