IGNORED

SNES controller on NES?

31336haxx0r

So does it work, even though the SNES controller uses 16 bit words for communication while the NES uses only 8 bits?

Yeah it works great I found a website where a guy explained it. I can't remember the link but if you google I'm sure you'll find it. All you need to do is open the snes cord before the plug and wire a nes plug into it. You can use a probe to figure out which wire is which pin and there's a guide that shows you which pin on the snes controller is which on the nes controller. My snes pad plays fine on both the snes and the nes.

*edit*

oh look what 2 seconds of google searching found...

http://www.neshq.com/hardmods/snes_to_nes_controller.txt

Edited by Drakon
  • Like 1

The reason they both work is due to the way they shift out the data from the controller. They both send a clock signal to the controller which responds by shifting out the data bit by bit until it receives the signal to load the next set of values into its shifters. The NES will just tell the SNES controller to load before it is totally done shifting its data out.

The lucky thing is that Nintendo organized the serial data the same way between both consoles! :)

• 2 weeks later...

You know....you can use a sega genesis controller on a commodore vic-20......plug and play! A lot of companies kept the same standard for controller signals.

I don't know about the VIC-20, but if you do that on a C64 you run the risk of frying the keyboard/joystick I/O controllers in the Computer... Something to do with a conflict with some buttons on the keyboard and the fact that the Genesis controllers have extra circutry not found in typical controllers made for it which makes them behave a bit differently. I learned this after I wound up having to replace one of said controller ICs in my C64.... the CIA chips.

Hrrmm I think I might have found a more technical explanation of the issue:

This is because joysticks (which the game ports were intended to support)

either pull the lines low (when active) or are an open connection (when

inactive). This latter condition allows the lines to be pulled low by other

sources (they keyboard for example). Sega gamepads, on the other hand, pull

inactive lines HIGH. Now if you press a key on the keyboard with one of

these devices plugged in, one source is pulling the line high while another

I/O line (cross-connected through the keyboard) is trying to drag it down.

This can put an extra strain on the CIA chip, as the circuit wasn't

designed to deal with this kind of situation.

Source: http://www.floodgap..../display.cgi?26

What it comes down to is Genesis controllers are not completely the same as the standard sticks the C64 was designed for, but it is possible to render a genesis controller safe to use on one.