IGNORED

A Different Kind Of Controller...

PacManPlus

After I got rid of my Wii, I kept the 'Fighter Controller' because I had an idea for it. :twisted:

I changed the overlay, kept only two buttons, and wired it up for the 7800:

post-1787-0-66420000-1328388024_thumb.jpg

Now, where it becomes different, is with the cable. I wanted the 'Select/Pause/Reset' buttons ('Home' being mapped to 'Pause') functional on the controller, so I used a D-Sub 15 Pin (VGA) connector:

post-1787-0-13750900-1328388028_thumb.jpg

Pins 1 to 9 map to 1 to 9 on the 15 pin connection, but Start, Pause, and Reset map to 11, 12, and 13 respectively. When I want to use this controller with a standard 7800 (of course without the Select/Pause/Reset functionality), I made a cable to just pass the normal 7800 joystick pins:

post-1787-0-34339100-1328388031_thumb.jpg

Now, any 7800 I want to use the controller with the entire array of buttons, I just wire up a male 15-Pin VGA connector (pins 1-9 stay the same, 11, 12, and 13 map to Select, Pause, and Reset, respectively) and use a VGA extension cable (a thin one if possible). :) I did that here:

post-1787-0-90573200-1328388033_thumb.jpg

(sorry for the blurry pic but you can make out the connector on the right hand side)

Good idea?

Thanks,

Bob

EDIT - Didn't realize I kept writing 'Start/Pause/Reset' instead of 'Select/Pause/Reset'. Fixed. :dunce:

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys:

Quick Update - You have to either change pin 9 on the Atari side to connect to pin 10 on the 15-pin connector, or just solder pins 9 and 10 together (like I did) on the 15-pin connector. I completely forgot that many of the VGA-Extension cables don't pass through pin 9.

Bob

Edited for clarity

Edited by PacManPlus