IGNORED

bjl kit?

_shameless_

Thanks. I just got a Jaguar and parts to make my own RGB cable. I've been looking at various flash carts for checking homebrew on real hardware, but they're pretty rare right now, or expensive. I've got an eye on the cheap flash cart from zerosquare, but it's on hold at the moment. A skunkboard is a bit more than I want to spend right now, especially after getting the Jaguar and a few games.

I know Rick pretty well but haven't talked to him in a while, so don't know what's going on with More Than Games. From what I've heard, he is pretty slow on responding. Also, I know he likes changing his email address once a year. If his email address ends in a year that is not 2012, try changing the email address to show 2012 instead.

Wolf3D/Spear of Destiny Shareware on the 32X, xrick for 32X, an up-to-date gcc toolchain with C/C++ examples for the MD and 32X, and a bunch of different examples for the MD and 32X, all with source and my blessings to use whatever you can in your own projects. :) All those things can be found at SpritesMind or SEGA-16. There's now a Genesis sub-forum here, so I've debated posting stuff there.

Anywho, I was itching to make a port of Yeti3D-Pro to the Jaguar... while I'm still running into issues getting that to work on the 32X (lack of ram, mainly), it should be pretty easy to get it working on the Jaguar. I have plain Yeti3D on the 32X, not the Pro version. The plain version doesn't do slopes, uses sprites, and was geared toward the GBA. My latest 32X version has MOD music and sound effects. Yeti3D-Pro requires a LOT more ram than the plain Yeti3D... even though it still has code for the GBA, it won't work on it for the same reason I am having trouble getting it to work on the 32X - lack of ram.

The other thing I'd like to mess with on the Jaguar is ogg-vorbis audio: I was able to get tremor running in real-time on the 32X on the Slave SH2 (mono 22kHz audio at 24 to 48 kbps). Given the relative merits of the DSP in the Jaguar, I'd bet I can get it running on the DSP even better.

• Like 7

Wolf3D/Spear of Destiny Shareware on the 32X, xrick for 32X, an up-to-date gcc toolchain with C/C++ examples for the MD and 32X, and a bunch of different examples for the MD and 32X, all with source and my blessings to use whatever you can in your own projects. :) All those things can be found at SpritesMind or SEGA-16. There's now a Genesis sub-forum here, so I've debated posting stuff there.

Anywho, I was itching to make a port of Yeti3D-Pro to the Jaguar... while I'm still running into issues getting that to work on the 32X (lack of ram, mainly), it should be pretty easy to get it working on the Jaguar. I have plain Yeti3D on the 32X, not the Pro version. The plain version doesn't do slopes, uses sprites, and was geared toward the GBA. My latest 32X version has MOD music and sound effects. Yeti3D-Pro requires a LOT more ram than the plain Yeti3D... even though it still has code for the GBA, it won't work on it for the same reason I am having trouble getting it to work on the 32X - lack of ram.

The other thing I'd like to mess with on the Jaguar is ogg-vorbis audio: I was able to get tremor running in real-time on the 32X on the Slave SH2 (mono 22kHz audio at 24 to 48 kbps). Given the relative merits of the DSP in the Jaguar, I'd bet I can get it running on the DSP even better.

Fantastic! Glad you are here, and possibly contributing!

Well, been here a while, just not in the Jaguar section. And I'll definitely be contributing. At first, it'll be tested via emulator, then as I get something to allow me to try it on real hardware, it'll be tested that way as well.

I must say, the Jaguar is a VERY stylish console! I hadn't paid much attention to it at the time... had a SEGA Genesis/CD/32X and went straight to the PSX. I've been buying the older consoles as I get the chance, and I'm a bit surprised by how great the lines of the Jaguar are. Atari should have played that up more... "Cool kids need a cool looking console!" :D

I also don't see how the controller got voted "worst controller ever" - that distinction goes to the N64. The Atari controller is actually really nice. Just wish I could find a ProController for less than $75! :-o

• Like 2

Yeah the pro controller definatly has gone up in price. ive still never used one myself. The controller isn't bad. People bash it for the keypad itself but to tell you the truth it can come in handy for debugging purposes in games if not used in the real game and doesnt really get in the way... controller is solid and comfy but over time the rubber grommets under the d-pad and buttons get worn out over time.

Edited by rush6432

Yeah the pro controller definatly has gone up in price. ive still never used one myself. The controller isn't bad. People bash it for the keypad itself but to tell you the truth it can come in handy for debugging purposes in games if not used in the real game and doesnt really get in the way... controller is solid and comfy but over time the rubber grommets under the d-pad and buttons get worn out over time.

Yeah, but ALL controllers wear out eventually. As you say, the keypad can be handy for many things beyond the game - it's really handy for the homebrewers. I agree with the comment about the comfort of the controller - it's surprisingly comfortable... well, surprising after hearing that it was voted worst controller.

All the Jaguar hardware and games are going up in price, so I decided to bite the bullet and get one before they got to ridiculous levels. The CDROM is already out of range unless I make some extra money elsewhere this year. Ditto for the ProController. The skunkboards (when you can find them) are priced to be "competitive" with the current CDROM prices... in other words, damned expensive!

In case zerosquare gets delayed too long on his "cheap" board, I've started working on a preliminary design of my own "cheap" board... in this case, a board with just a mach4128 and an eeprom, and a connector for a GBA flash cart. I've tons of GBA flash carts, and I've been doing menus for similar boards on other consoles for the last couple years. So it's "cheap" IF you have GBA flash carts lying around. ;)

• Like 2

Whoever bashes the jag controller must have never used an intellivision before. Most godawful abortion of a controller ever.

• Like 2

Whoever bashes the jag controller must have never used an intellivision before. Most godawful abortion of a controller ever.

or the cdi controller, god that was a bad controller...

In the CD-i's defense, at least you had a lot of different control options. There were various remote-like devices, various actual game pads, as well as mouse and trackball accessories. Anything on the CD-i can also be used with any peripheral. Some peripherals were good, some sucked balls. It's not great to base judgement on the platform until you have tried a couple of other pointing devices (IMO, the mouse and trackballs work the best for the CD-i).

In the CD-i's defense, at least you had a lot of different control options. There were various remote-like devices, various actual game pads, as well as mouse and trackball accessories. Anything on the CD-i can also be used with any peripheral. Some peripherals were good, some sucked balls. It's not great to base judgement on the platform until you have tried a couple of other pointing devices (IMO, the mouse and trackballs work the best for the CD-i).

true true, i really didnt have much money tho after shelling 200+$ for one though xD, i was stuck with the default one. but you are right, there were either options unlike the intellivision which had the controller fucking hardwired to the console -_-

• Like 1

I had the same problem when I emailed... it's like the address isn't valid anymore. The web page was up to date, and it did say there were BJL adapters in stock, so I ordered one. Crossing my fingers...

Did you order the adapter or the kit? Or both?

Just the adapter. I'll either get something like Protector SE with built in BJL support, the cheap flash cart zerosquare designed (which also has built in BJL support), or I'll make my own flash cart with BJL support. In any case, I don't want to hack my Jaguar, and there are enough choices in the offing to avoid needing to do so.