IGNORED

Brand new Apple II

Andre81

Maybe it was brand new -- before the seller opened the box, unpacked it, and took it out of the plastic. Now it is "complete in box," and worth nowhere near $1300 or whatever it will sell for.

I disagree with you. New means for me that it has not been used, has no wear and is complete will all manuls, packing material etc. In this case the opened box is minuscule for me. Something else are sealed games. As soon as the shrinkwrap/seal has been broken I consider them as used.

Maybe it was brand new -- before the seller opened the box, unpacked it, and took it out of the plastic. Now it is "complete in box," and worth nowhere near $1300 or whatever it will sell for.

I disagree with you. New means for me that it has not been used, has no wear and is complete will all manuls, packing material etc. In this case the opened box is minuscule for me. Something else are sealed games. As soon as the shrinkwrap/seal has been broken I consider them as used.

We'll have to disagree on that. Even eBay states that "new" means sealed. "Open box" is a different category.

In this case, things aren't even new by your standards:

• The games are not sealed and are opened, as shown in the photos.
  • There are scratches and dings on the power supply.
  • One of the last photos shows "air pack," a modern shipping material that I am 100% sure was not used in Apple IIc packaging. That means some of the original packaging material is missing... and possibly even some of the original content. For example, where are the famous Apple stickers included with all Apple products in the 80s? (At least all of the ones I owned included them.)
  • There should be a sticker on the floppy drive handle with a usage warning. Even my significantly worn Apple //c CPUs collected in recent years, that looked like they had been through hell and back, still had those stickers on the drive handles.

That is definitely an example of a good cosmetic condition Apple //c, however since we can prove it isn't new (signs of use/wear, missing items) there is no reason it shouldn't be shown working. The Apple //c plugs directly into the analog RCA (composite) video port of any TV, something I have done many times to use a cheapo 13" TV with one.

Edited by akator

Apple computer collectors I think are a wide expanse including cash heavy amateurs, which results in wildly variable prices.

I've been watching more than I used to and there is little uniformity to pricing, with few exceptions. A complete in box //c set can be had for much less. I won mine with local pick up a few years back for under $100, including the giant sized Imagewriter, monitor and some other parts.

The hype surrounding Apple these days helps make classic Apple stuff more exciting.