IGNORED

Head alignment adjustment in Atari 1010

Keckman

Hi folks!

I just bought 1010 Atari tape recorder for my old 800XL computer. When I write my own basic programs and CSAVE them, they can be well loaded back with CLOAD. But when I try to load commercial games pressing START/OPTION when starting the machine it goes immediately to the BOOT ERROR. I guess the problem is recorder's head alignment - recorder works fine when programs are saved and loaded with same aligment, but not when trying to use commercial programs cassettes, which are saved with other adjustments.

I'm not a do-it-yourself man (although now I'm trying). How can I adjust the head without broken or open too much the 1010? How do I access the screw? I want to be careful with my "new" tape drive so that I do not break it. Or can the problem be caused by something else than head alignment?

EDIT1: This was meant to be in main Atari 8-Bit Computers area but accidentally is here Atari 5200 / 8-bit Programming area...

EDIT2: Copy here...

Since it can load files that were saved on it the problem is unlikely to be anything other than head alignment

Yes. Came to mind that the problem could be due to this fact, that I changed the original unworkable belt from another Atari 1010. I have a model Made ​​in Japan 1010 and this is Made ​​in Hong Kong model. They are different inside, and the straps are different - maybe it affects the speed of rotation?

Edited by Keckman