IGNORED

Was anyone here an original 1984 Atari 7800 owner?

BillyHW

• 1 month later...

I lived in Sacramento and not the Bay Area so I missed out on the limited release launch in 1984 but I can tell you I lusted after that console after reading about it in "InfoWorld's Essential Guide to the Atari" that our local library had a copy of. I was fascinated by it [especially the capabilities of the Maria Graphics Chip] as well as the MindLink adapter. I was so happy when Sears released its 1986 spring catalog and the 7800 was available for purchase. My grandmother bought one from KB Toys shortly thereafter [it was in stock there even before Toys R Us, if I recall correctly]. I frikkin' loved Xevious on it and having that significantly cut down my desire to go to the roller skating rink to play the arcade version after that.

Aside from the audio, I'd say the 7800 version of Xevious is far better than the NES version or the ST version.

• 1 month later...

There's some here under Serial number list thread:

EP Units:

EP 001292 -Fyrebird

EP 002574 -toymailman (CIB with all packaging)

EP 003976 -toymailman

EP 008042 -Tubular Gearhead

AT84 Units:

AT84 03172 -Corby

AT84 03242 -Lemmi

AT84 09103 -PacManPlus (cool Silver paint job)

AT84 14616 -Mitch

AT84 16922 -toymailman (CIB with the stickers)

AT84 20618 -DarthCloud

AT84 25241 -toymailman (CIB with different stickers)

AT84 30276 -toymailman

AT84 44298 -toymailman

AT84 47840 -Coolhand20th

AT84 50981 -toymailman

AT84 53505 -toymailman

AT84 55199 -toymailman

AT84 55587 -lapetino

AT84 57660 -phattyboombatty

AT84 60391 -toymailman

AT84 60899 -Tubular Gearhead

AT84 62528 -SeaGtGruff

AT84 62542 -godzillajoe

AT84 62898 -toymailman

AT84 63558 -toymailman

Edited by high voltage

Hi, about original 1984 atari 7800, was Pole Position II packed-in 7800 in 1984 release? Are these units with the game on-board or as separate cart?

And any of the games announced for the system's launch were finally released in the 1984 limited release? I have seen designs of some boxes with different style than the 1986 release but I don't know If finally were launched.

Pole Position 2 was never included on board in any production system, only on cart.

There are three different system boxes released in the US and another different one released outside the US.

Mitch

Pole Position 2 was never included on board in any production system, only on cart.

There are three different system boxes released in the US and another different one released outside the US.

Mitch

Does anyone have pictures of the different system boxes that they can post?

Mitch

I have some old pics of the the first two NTSC boxed systems here: http://www.atari7800.org/console.htm

I guess I never got around to taking a picture of the third one or the PAL box.

Mitch

Mitch

I have some old pics of the the first two NTSC boxed systems here: http://www.atari7800.org/console.htm

I guess I never got around to taking a picture of the third one or the PAL box.

Mitch

Wow that AC adapter is pretty small compared to the 5200 or ColecoVision. It got even smaller in the REV B. Too bad the pics are low res and you can't see the sides and back of the box. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Its unfortunate what the new management at the time did to the the 7800 console.

If they would of taken the time and added the pokey chip for sound, and made more titles for it, instead of storing the units in warehouses until it was to late to compete with Nintendo in 1986, The Atari 7800 could of easily ruled until the end of the 1980s......The Console had the same capabilties as the N.E.S but the time and money was not put into it.

If only Atari wouldn't have given up on the Video Game Market after the crash of 84.

Atari probably should of took Nintendo up on there offer to build there new System.

Atari 7800 would of been what Nintendo became.

Still, The Atari 7800 is my favorite system of the 1980s....I love the ports of old arcade games like Xevious,Ms. Pacman and the Mario-Donkey Kong games.

Atari 7800 is probably my least favourite 80s system, mostly due to the horrid sound. If Coleco hadn't gone belly-up, they would have dominated the mid-80s and the NES may never have been released here at all.

Incidentally, the Genesis wiki page states that Sega had asked Atari to distribute the Genesis in NA too, but the deal never materialized.

Atari 7800 is probably my least favourite 80s system, mostly due to the horrid sound. If Coleco hadn't gone belly-up, they would have dominated the mid-80s and the NES may never have been released here at all.

Incidentally, the Genesis wiki page states that Sega had asked Atari to distribute the Genesis in NA too, but the deal never materialized.

True, but all They had to do was put the dam pokey chip in all the cartridges and the sound issue would of been solved.Atari was just being cheap........The 7800 had more capabilities than the colecovision which I happen to still have.As far as the offer from Sega for Atari to build the Genesis, I guess they didn't learn there lesson from the Nintendo blunder.I guess Atari was more focused on the upcoming Lynx at the time that ended up being probably the best underrated handheld of all time because nobody really bought them, well except for me.I wish the Lynx would of been a home console instead of a handheld.It would of done much better and potentially better than the Genesis.........Oh well, coulda, shoulda and woulda....

If I knew Doc Brown and Marty McFly, I would go back to the late 80s and have a long chat with the people at Atari.

Maybe Bif went back in time and Sabotaged Atari...

Edited by Stun Runner 87

• 1 year later...

To my knowledge, there are three reasons no POKEY was resident on the 7800 mommy board in 1984. One is real estate - no room. Two is cost to add the chip. Three is the memory map is crammed without it, although that might not be an issue if switching from TIA to POKEY as only one is used at a time. I didn't think about that before, so maybe it's not an issue. There should have been more RAM like a 1 x 6264 in place of the 2 x 6116 but that was spendy and the 6264 was limited in production at the time, and increased RAM probably would have bumped the HSC out of the line-up to map the extra RAM. Maybe the answer is to pull the TIA, install a POKEY and reprogram/adapt all the games to work with POKEY. ///Blueman///