IGNORED

Double Dragon 7800 challenge!

Propane13

Hello!

So, I thought of something.

I recalled that when you play Double Dragon on the 7800 to its end, if you have a friend with you, you get to go into a Battle Royale, winner take all.

It hit me that it's not a bad little fighter, and could probably be a decent hack mini-game. I've only ever gotten to that screen with one other person once, so it would be fun to play again.

I don't typically hack the 7800 (and this is not me saying that I would), but it seems this is something that wouldn't be too hard (i.e. first find out where the level is in RAM, and then update that, and set some other RAM variables). If someone took it that far, they could change the graphics, and make a few "levels".

This might be something that a new programmer / hacker might like to look at.

But, I digress-- as a start, I was wondering if someone could make a save game file that has both players at equal strength during the battle royale?

Regards,

-John

Maybe a way to set this up is to just get save states at various parts.

Since your energy refills after beating the bad guy for each stage, we could start by having someone get a save state that starts stage 2 with both players alive and full of energy.

That should at least get us crawling a little closer to the end goal.

I have been trying to beat the game with my wife for a long time, but we just can't do it. Usually we don't even get to the last screen, but we have made it once or twice. I've always wanted to see how the final fight is set up and everything.

It's actually fairly easy to beat, once you learn a couple of tricks. Its AI is actually pretty silly at times.

straight punching and kicking is hard. Learn to master the reverse jump kick (kicking right) and the headbutt and you'll find it a lot easier.

I use the elbow you just hit the guys when they are not fighting they are just going to the other side of you, never beat it yet still lose all my lives specially on the last guy keep getting shot, seems impossible to atack him without getting killed..

I use the headbutt sometimes, but it's usually more by accident then by design and I'll sometimes throw an elbow. Probably 98% of my attacks are the reverse kick. The game actually get much harder in my opinion with two players. You get in each other's way or even hit each other and the enemies will sometimes switch who they are attacking which can throw you off. I don't beat it everytime I play by myself but I almost always get to the end boss, it is just much harder with two people in my experience.

I use the elbow you just hit the guys when they are not fighting they are just going to the other side of you, never beat it yet still lose all my lives specially on the last guy keep getting shot, seems impossible to atack him without getting killed..

The entire game can pretty much be passed through with just the elbow. Stay at the top of the screen and keep elbowing. If an enemy is being cautious about approaching you, it plans to attack. If it gets close enough it will definitely hit you most of the time. You can't afford to trade punches in the game. In those cases, move up and down while staying near the top. The ones planning to attack will try to follow you. If they stop that and start walking directly to you, it means they're trying to get behind you. It's basically a free hit on them. Doing that the entire game can pretty much get you through almost everything.

Also the maps I made for the game should be in the forum here somewhere. It'll list what enemies and how many you can expect to fight in each section I believe.

• Like 1

Here's the codelist for use with the XBox 7800 emulator.

The XBox port is based on MESS, so you may find this useful:

#Double Dragon #16E2FC12
"Unlimited Lives (Player 1)
3000190B 0010
"Unlimited Health (Player 1)
30001FFB 009B
"Unlimited Lives (Player 2)
3000191F 0010
"Unlimited Health (Player 2)
30002004 009B